9. It's Over...

September 16th, 1996
1:37pm

Veronica slowly opened her eyes and found herself in a strange white room.

"Oh my god, she's awake!" A voice exclaimed from the other side of the room.

A blond haired girl came into view, her eyes were red and swollen. A boy and girl followed behind Tatum.

"Veronica..." She leaned down and gave Veronica a soft hug, the blond sniffled and wiped her eyes. Randy could be seen behind her.

"Tatum..." Veronica hugged her friend back. Billy and Stu entered the room.

"It's over... You'll never have to see her again... She will never hurt you again." Tatum sniffled.

Veronica looked at Tatum and started sobbing.

Everyone in the room looked at each other and back at Veronica.

Tatum burst into tears along with Veronica. Randy looked at the two sincerely.

Stu's lip quivered, but he wouldn't dare let it show.

Sidney looked at Veronica with tears in her eyes, she mouthed the words 'I'm so sorry.'

Billy looked at Veronica somberly, his eyebrows furrowed.

Tatum pulled away and Billy walked closer to her. She continued to cry and Billy sat down by her feet.

Tatum whispered something to Randy and Stu, Sidney got the hint from Tatum. Then the four of them left, leaving Billy and Veronica alone.

"So... How long?" Billy asked, not looking in Veronica's direction.

"What...?" Veronica questioned.

"How long?" He repeated.

"Billy, how long what?" Veronica asked.

"How long has your mother been beating you?" He turned to look at her. The kind boy from the night before had completely vanished, his eyes filled with nothing but darkness. His expression was dull yet he looked uncontrollably angry.

Veronica looked at him, nervously.

"How long?!" His tone grew louder and he shot up from his seat aggressively. Veronica winced and she covered her ears.

Immediately he noticed her actions and his expression softened. "Oh god... Veronica." He reached out to her and she flinched.

He stumbled back, then bolted out of the hospital room, overwhelmed with guilt.

"Billy!" Veronica called after him. She had nothing against him, her flinching was a result of her mother's abuse. She felt guilty, he was only worried about her.

It's my fault... If I wasn't like this, he wouldn't have left...

2:01pm
The sheriff and his deputy entered the room.

"Veronica..." The deputy said somberly.

Veronica knew him, his name was Dewey, he was Tatum's older brother.

The sheriff took off his hat and looked at Veronica, his eyes filled with sadness, "Ms. Rodriguez... I offer you my support. I am incredibly sorry for the abuse you had to withstand. Your mother is in custody. I'd like to ask, if you feel okay with sharing, how has she hurt you in the past?"

Veronica took a deep breath and began to spill everytime her mother had hurt her. She showed various bruises, current cuts, old scars, and burn scars from the times her mother has put out cigarettes on Veronica's skin.

The sheriff and deputy looked at Veronica in horror. She also explained the beer bottle incident from not too long ago.

"Now, Veronica. I'm sure you remember the two bodies found on your porch last night." The Sheriff sighed.

Veronica nodded, a chill sent down her spine.

"Don't worry, you are off the hook. You have an alibi, multiple teens were able to confirm that it wasn't you."

Veronica nodded.

"However, that still means the killer is on the loose. I advise you to be incredibly careful. If you ever need anything, please call."

With that, the two men said goodbye and left.

Finally... Finally it's all over... I won't have to deal with her abuse any longer...