12. Aftermath

September 22nd, 1996
5:09pm

It had been two days since the intrusion, both girls still on edge.

Tatum, Veronica, and Dewey sat around the dinner table. Eating in silence.

Dewey had his gun out on the table, just in case.

Tatum and Dewey's parents were on their way back home from a trip away. So Dewey was left to take care of two girls.

Once they all finished dinner, Dewey did the dishes and both girls went upstairs to Tatum's room.

Veronica sat next to Tatum on her bed, "Do you wanna watch something?" Tatum asked.

Veronica nodded, "I think that'd help..."

Tatum went over and turned on her TV then began to go through various VHS tapes.

"Horror?" Tatum asked, hoping the answer would be a no.

"I don't think I have the gut for that yet..." Veronica sighed.

"How about... Ooh, how about Clueless?" Tatum smiled.

"That's perfect." Veronica exhaled contently.

Both girls curled up in the same bed and watched the movie, slowly beginning to laugh more and make jokes as if things were normal.

But things were far from normal.

Once the movie was over they decided to paint nails and listen to music.

Tatum painted her a light peachy-pink color, Veronica did hers black.

Suddenly the blue telephone began to ring, Veronica jumped as it did so.

She glanced at the phone then back at Tatum. "Sh- Should I answer it?"

Tatum shrugged, not knowing what to do.

Veronica swallowed thickly and picked up the phone, "Hello...?"

"Hey! It- It's Stu." A boy said from the other line.

Veronica groaned, "What do you want, Stu?"

"Listen, I never got to apologize for inviting all those kids and I wanted to check in on you. I heard about the invasion and... and about Sid." Stu's voice wavered as he spoke.

He must be really serious...

"Hey man, it's okay. I know you didn't mean to make me upset. And thanks, me and Tate are doing a bit better, but it's still scary y'know."

"Man, I'd be scared too. It's horrible what happened to you guys. But hey, I wanted to let you know I'm throwing a party. You two should come." The boy said.

"A party...?" Veronica mumbled and glanced at Tatum.

"Maybe we should go... I'm sure we'd be safe there." Tatum smiled softly.

"So, will you guys come to the party?"

Veronica thought about it for a moment. Maybe I could get Dewey to come...

"Yeah fine... when is it?"

"On the eighth! I'm glad you are coming, see you then." With that he hung up.

Veronica and Tatum put on another movie and continued to joke and laugh.

Veronica was excited for the party, supposedly Stu's house was awesome. However, deep down, she knew it was a bad idea. Deep down, she knew that something terrible was in store.