Rock and Roll

Melissa's pov:

When I open my eyes, I get up from my bed and head to the kitchen to have some water.

My head is killing me right now.

I walk into the kitchen and get a glass of water then finish it all at once.

Mom and Dad must be still sleeping right now, it's 5 in the morning.

I walk back to my room to prepare myself for work, my boss has been acting strange lately.

I take a shower then put on my uniform, a black pencil skirt and a white blouse with black heels.

When I finish, I head back to the living room where I find mom preparing coffee in the kitchen.

"morning mom..." I greet her.

"good morning Melissa."

"Karen! What's the date today?!" my father from the bedroom shouts, walking into the kitchen.

"uhm... why are you asking?" my mother asks him.

"it's our daughters' birthday!" my father smiles as he looks at me then mom.

Yes.

Today is my birthday, I completely forgot about it.

I wish my boss knew about it so that I can just celebrate my birthday in peace without anything or anyone giving me a hard time.

This is how I always celebrate my birthday, mother would prepare one of her best meals and I would do the same.

Sometimes, I used to go to the children's hospital and play with them, accompanied by Stacy because her mom is a nurse.

Father would always make sure to buy anything he could for me, and I really appreciate that. He does his best and now it's my time to help him.

"oh goodness! I forgot! Happy birthday to you and your sister!" mom pulls me into the tightest hug ever until I can't breathe.

"thank you both of you." I free myself and maintain my smile. "I have to go now, I'll make sure to come back early today."

~~~~

When I reached the building, I hurriedly walked into the lobby where I found everyone in their cubicles, silently working.

When they noticed me, they stopped doing what they were doing and began talking to one another as their eyes were fixed on me.

This is so weird.

After experiencing some horrible minutes, I quickly walk to the elevator which is used by everyone and press the button to the fourteenth floor where my office is.

The doors open, I step out and head directly to my boss' office.

When I open the door to his office, my boss is not sitting on his chair, instead his standing behind the glass wall, admiring the city.

He looks lost in his own thoughts, his sleeves are rolled up and he looks so...

Nice.

Yeah, just a shirt and his hands are shoved into his pockets.

I quickly dismiss the thought and clear my throat.

He turns around and a small smile forms on his lips as he take some steps towards my direction while I just watch him.

"I thought you're never going to come today." his voice is sweet today, I think he had too much sugar in his coffee.

"u-uh... why wouldn't I?"