Chapter 17

She only sees Sana again when she’s leaving the party. She’s holding Taeyong’s arm while she looks like she’s about to pass out and she stops walking when she spots Y/n at the door, waiting for Lisa who’s busy bringing Jisoo to bed since she fell asleep on her shoulder.

“Are you leaving?” Sana asks, her eyes trailing over Y/n’s face. Y/n didn’t expect Sana to talk to her at all, and it’s stupid how her chest tingles when their eyes meet.

“Yeah. I’m waiting for the others.”

“Oh.” Sana shifts to wrap an arm around Taeyong’s arm because he sways dangerously on his feet.

“Is he okay?” Y/n asks, genuinely concerned. It’s not his fault, none of this is. He seems like a nice guy. Y/n can’t be mad at anyone but herself.

“He, uh, had a bit too much to drink,” Sana says, brushing the hair away that’s covering her sweaty face. She’s really gentle with him, and she says a few hushed words to hum like she’s trying to stop him from passing out.

Sana seems to be good at taking care of people. She took care of Y/n too when she was drunk out of her mind that night when they first met. And she was really gentle with Y/n too.

“I can see that.” Y/n forces a smile and blanks out those thoughts. “Do you need help?”

“No, it’s fine,” Sana rushes out, almost a bit too fast and Y/n doesn’t know why but her chest hurts again.

“Okay.”

Sana opens her mouth to say something but she closes it again, and they stand there in the empty hallway looking at each other until Taeyong makes a small noise of complaint that startles both of them.

“Tired.” He slurs and turns around to bury his face in Sana’s shoulder.

Y/n thinks she e deserves a pat on her back for not letting the pain she feels show on her face. “You should take him to his room.”

“Yeah.” Sana bites down on her lower lip, and Y/n isn’t sure why she feels so guilty all of a sudden when she sees the strange look in Sana’s eyes. They pause, like one of them is supposed to say something, but they stay silent and Sana starts to turn away. “I’ll see you.”

Y/n nods but she doesn’t know if Sana really means that, because things are weird between them and Y/n is just kind of tired of this mess.

Lisa guides her out of the house with a secure arm around her shoulders a moment later, reminding her that at the end of the day, she still has her best friend.

-

After the party, Y/n decides that things need to change. She’s allowed this nonsense to mess with her mind and feelings way too long and it’s making her feel like an idiot. She doesn’t usually let her feelings control her to the extent of her not being able to think about anything else.

Even when things were crazy at home, she always used to be able to blank those things out and focus on school or keeping Chaeyoung away from their house until her mom went to sleep so she didn’t have to see her in that condition.

But it’s like that control has just completely slipped through her fingers, and it’s all Sana’s fault.

“Y/n, why aren’t you eating?”

Y/n looks up from her plate, her fork still forcefully stabbed into the chicken breast. “I was thinking about something.” She replies and starts eating the food, mostly to get Chaeyoung to stop worrying.

“You’ve been really weird lately,” Chaeyoung carefully says. Y/n hands her a napkin and points to the corner of her mouth where some sauce is stuck and Chaeyoung wipes it away with an amused grin. “Seriously, is there something wrong?”