Chapter 47

“Can you put sunscreen on my back?”

Y/n blinks her eyes open, momentarily blinded by the brightness of the sun.

Sana is looking down at her, the water dripping down from her wet hair on Y/n’s stomach making her jump and shiver.

“Sure.” Y/n sighs and sits up. Her skin feels really hot, and maybe she should move her blanket underneath a tree to hide in the shades, but Jungkook said she looks like an uncooked chicken earlier and now Y/n’s self esteem is hurt.

It’s anotherr hot summer day and Minah insisted on going to the lake to swim and because Sana’s parents have work today, they took her instead.

At least that’s what Sana’s saying; if you ask Y/n, it’s just an excuse, because Sana and Jungkook are having way too much fun jumping down the cliffs at the side of the lake.

There’s mostly just kids their age scattered around the water, drinking cold beer in the stuffy summer heat, music blasting through bluetooth speakers.

After last night’s events, Y/n is somewhat glad that they didn’t stay in. It would’ve given them too many opportunities to be alone and talk about what happened and why it happened.

Y/n knows she’ll eventually have to tell Sana about everything if she wants things to work out between them, but she wants to talk about her feelings for Sana first before anything else.

Thankfully, Sana didn’t ask her any questions for the rest of the night. She gently coaxed Y/n into coming back outside, helped her calm down and assured her that no one outside would be able to tell that Y/n cried.

Sana sat next to her for the whole night, carefully avoiding the subjects that might upset Y/n and trying to draw the attention away from Y/n because it was clear that Y/n was still shaken and tired by what happened.

It’s that sort of behaviour that sends a pleasant kind of pain to Y/n’s heart; Sana being so naturally caring and protective over her. She knows by now that she’s drawn to people like that and that there’s a reason for that, but Y/n fell for Sana way before the younger started acting that way.

Y/n shuffles back on the blanket, making room for Sana to sit down in front of her. She shivers when Sana’s cold skin brushes against the insides of her legs where the younger sits down. Y/n has an itching mosquito bite near her ankle and Sana touches it, scratches at it until Y/n laughs and tells her to stop.

“Why aren’t you coming into the water?” Sana asks, still panting a little from jogging back to where Y/n was sitting. “It’s too hot here.”

“I’m not really a water person.” Y/n mumbles, squeezing some sunscreen on her palm and spreading it between both her hands. “Also our things might get stolen.”

Sana chuckles, her shoulders hunching up a little when Y/n places her palms on her upper back. Sana’s skin is so tanned now; it looks like caramel in the sunlight, golden and bright.

“This isn’t the city, Y/n.” Sana tilts her head back, closing her eyes as she basks in the sunlight. Y/n keeps comparing her to the sun, but that doesn’t come out of nowhere. Sana loves the sun. Maybe that’s why her whole being is bright and warm. “Everyone knows everyone here. No one’s going to touch our stuff.”

Y/n hums and focuses on coating Sana’s back with the sunscreen. “Did you do your arms?”

“No. I didn’t put any on.”

“You’ve been running around like an idiot for almost an hour.” Y/n chides her. “I hope you get sunburned.”

“You don’t mean that.” Sana turns to look at her over her shoulder, pouting. “You’d feel bad for me.”