Chapter 45

Y/n is lying on the grass and she’s pretty sure there are ten different kinds of tiny bugs climbing around her body and but she can’t really care much. The sun is warming up her whole body until she feels pleasantly boneless.

“Here.” Sana sits down next to her and places a pink bento box on Y/n’s stomach. “Minah usually doesn’t let others use her stuff. You should feel honoured.”

Y/n takes the box and sits up, chuckling at the flowery prints on the lid. “I’ll make sure to thank her.”

Sana’s mom makes amazing food; Y/n found out as much yesterday night but she can’t help but stuff her mouth as she eats, forgetting about her manners completely. But it amuses Sana, who watches her eat with a grin on her face.

“You want some of my mine?” She offers her box when Y/n has successfully emptied the whole box when Sana isn’t even halfway through with her own.

Y/n wipes her mouth, shaking her head with an embarrassed blush on her face. “Sorry.”

Sana sighs, probably fed up with Y/n’s constant apologies. “It’s nice to see you eat so much.”

Y/n gives her a curious look but Sana refuses to meet her eyes.

-

They leave an hour later because it’s getting too hot, Sana and Hinata having caught significantly more and bigger carps than Y/n did, but Y/n doesn’t really feel bad about it. It was more interesting to watch Sana’s dad reel them in like a pro anyway.

Y/n and Sana sit together in the back on their way back home.

The windows are rolled down, messing up Y/n’s hair and burning her eyes, so she closes them and listens to an old ballad Hinata is playing from his phone.

“Hey, Y/n.” Hinata speaks after a while. “Do you want to hear a joke?”

“Oh no.” Sana mutters under her breath, leaning her head back against the seat.

“Sure.” Y/n smiles.

“Why did the octopus beat the shark in a fight?” Sana’s dad asks.

“I don’t know. Why?”

“Because it was well armed!”

“Jesus.” Sana covers her face with her hand.

And Y/n, well, she laughs. Not because she wants to be polite or anything, she just kind of really finds it funny. “That was good.”

“See, Sana? That’s how you’re supposed to react when I tell you a joke. Your turn, Y/n. Make me laugh.” Hinata says.

Y/n doesn’t have to think too long. She has a lot of jokes in store but she usually keeps them to herself since no one ever laughs when she tells them.

Sana reaches out, gripping Y/n’s arm. “Y/n don’t encourage him—“

Y/n brushes Sana’s hand off with a smirk. “Why was the big cat disqualified from the race?”

Hinata smiles at her through the rearview mirror. “Why?”

“… Because it was a cheetah.”

Sana’s dad snickers and Y/n smiles, feeling proud that the man liked her joke, but when she turns to face Sana, the younger is shaking her head at her.

“I can’t believe you, Y/n.” The corners of Sana’s mouth are twitching. She’s trying so hard not to smile, Y/n knows it.

Hinata shushes her and clears her throat. “That wasn’t bad. Here’s another one: What’s wobbly and flies?”