Chapter 23

"Chaeyoung, do we have ice packs in the freezer?"

Y/n sits up from the couch and rubs her eyes, her phone in one hand where she has her chat with Lisa open.

"Why are you asking me?" Chaeyoung shouts back from the bedroom. "Y/n, this is your apartment!"

"I never use the freezer and you keep rummaging through everything." Y/n sighs and gets up to walk into the kitchen. "I thought you might know."

"I bought some ice cream last week. Didn’t see any ice packs." Her sister’s head pops up in the door frame, blinking at Y/n who has her own head halfway inside the freezer now. "No ice packs?"

Y/n shuts the freezer with a resigned shake of her head. "No ice packs."

"What do you need them for anyway?" Chaeyoung follows her to the hallway and watches her put on her shoes. "You’re not hurt again, are you?"

Y/n looks up at her and gives her sister a smile at the worried expression on her face. "They’re not for me. Lisa got her wisdom teeth removed and she has nothing to cool her cheeks."

"But why is she calling you? Isn’t that what girlfriends are for?" Chaeyoung asks.

"Nope." Y/n grabs her wallet and denim jacket from the clothes rack. "And don’t ever say that again, Chaeyoung. Especially not around a girl."

"Why not?"

"It’s sexist."

"Sexist?" Chaeyoung frowns. "I don’t know what that means."

"Very funny."

"Hey, I’m serious."

Y/n freezes and gives her sister an incredulous look. "Really?" Chaeyoung innocently nods her head. "Jesus" Y/n sighs and turns to open the door. "I’ll explain it to you later."

"Y/n, wait—" Chaeyoung stops her when Y/n is already halfway out the door. "About last week, uhm, about you… you and Sana."

Oh, yeah.

That.

Y/n knows Chaeyoung’s been pretty much avoiding that issue whenever they did talk together, and she was waiting to see if Chaeyoung would simply shrug the whole idea off and pretend she didn’t see anything.

But Chaeyoung is Chaeyoung, and she’s never been very fond of the saying ignorance is bliss.

"Yeah. What about it?"

Chaeyoung shrugs. "I talked to Sana. I mean… I asked if she, you know, likes you. I mean of course she likes you, but if she really really likes you—"

"I get it." Y/n snickers but it sounds more like she’s trying not to have one of her mental breakdowns again.

"Annnnd… it made her laugh. She said you were just friends and that she’s not even interested in girls." Chaeyoung sighs. "I’m sorry I didn’t believe you, Y/n. I just really thought that Sana had like, I dunno, romantic feelings for you. It was disrespectful of me either way."

Y/n has to remember to close her mouth and she also has to try hard not to let any emotions show on her face.

She knows she should be glad that Sana denied anything going on between them but the truth is—

It does not feel very relieving.

Not at all.

It’s the exact opposite, really.

Her stomach doesn’t like it, her heart doesn’t either.

"Y/n? Everything alright?"

Y/n’s head snaps up and she clears her throat to get rid of her thoughts. "Yeah, of course. Uhm. Yeah, what, what Sana said. We’re just—" She stops and suddenly she hates herself ten times more than she usually does. Is this how Sana's been feeling all this time? "Just friends."