Chapter 30

Sana is on her phone a lot.

Not when she’s alone with Y/n, but when they’re hanging out with their other friends, or when she thinks Y/n isn’t looking.

And there is always something off on her face when she puts it away. Like whatever she is doing is putting a burden on her.

Y/n tries to ignore it.

But the day after Y/n tells Lisa that she wants to go exclusive with Sana, when they’re working together in silence at the back of the uncle’s shop, Sana’s phone lights up on the table, and Y/n sees her clench her jaw after reading the message without picking it up. She even goes as far as quickly pressing the power button, like she doesn’t want Y/n to see it.

They might not be girlfriends, so Sana doesn’t exactly owe her an explanation, but they’re at least friends, and Y/n is worried about Sana so she puts her pen down and gathers some courage before she decides to simply ask her.

“What’s going on?”

Sana acts like she’s concentrating on her work. “What do you mean?”

“Who are you—” She starts, remembering the ‘I miss you’ someone sent her the week before and tries to shake off every single thought that goes in the wrong direction. “Just tell me what’s wrong. You’re always on your phone, and last week you said you didn’t want to talk about bad things on our first date. So you can tell me now.”

It looks like Sana isn’t going to answer her for a couple of seconds, but then she closes her eyes and drops the utensils in her hands, looking up at Y/n with a resigned look on her face. “I’m sorry for acting strange, okay? But Y/n I… I honestly don’t think it would be good for you to know.”

Y/n can’t help but frown at that. “What do you mean?”

“We only just started going on dates, and I don’t— I really don’t want to ruin things.” Just as she finishes talking the screen of her phone lights up again, both their eyes darting to it. Sana gulps and turns her phone around so the screen is facing down and Y/n’s stomach suddenly twists uncomfortably. Why would she do that if she didn’t have anything to hide?

“Are you… seeing someone else?” Y/n manages to ask. “Because you can tell me if you like—”

“No! What the fuck?” Sana’s voice shakes and she looks a little devastated at Y/n’s question. “I’m sorry. Shit. Y/n, no. I like you. I literally can’t get you out my head no matter what I do, so please don’t assume anything like that again, okay?”

“Then what is it?” She looks into Sana’s eyes, the relief she feels at Sana’s words overwhelming her for a moment. She wants to tell Sana that she feels the same, that Y/n’s starting to like her so much it scares the shit out of her, but she stays silent and patiently waits for Sana to explain what’s going on.

“It doesn’t have anything to do with my family.” Sana finally says after a long pause.

Y/n genuinely thought she was right with her assumption, especially after she saw how Sana’s mood dropped when they looked at her family’s pictures. “I just assumed... You said you didn’t want to talk about bad things when I asked about them.”

“I meant—” Sana starts and shakes her head. “I meant bad things about me.”

“About you?”

“Ah, fuck, this is too complicated.” Sana sighs nervously. “Please, hear me out before you say anything.”

She’s too confused. She didn’t think Sana had any major secrets, didn’t even think about her possibly having things from her past that she kept to herself, which is egoistic of her to think.