Chapter 22

Sana tells Y/n to drive to the lookout of the city which earns her another skeptical look from Y/n because the lookout is only a few minutes away from the graveyard.

“I can’t shake the feeling that you want to murder me tonight.” Y/n mumbles after parking the car, shivering against the cold air when she gets out.

Sana puts her beanie back on and rolls her eyes. “I like having you around way too much to do that.”

The lookout is empty, of course it is — it’s a Wednesday night and no sane person would come up here willingly so late at night.

“Your shirt’s all stained.” Y/n points at Sana’s white shirt sweatshirt is covered in red and pink streaks.

Sana sits down on the grass. “Yeah, that wasn’t very smart.” The cherries fall into her lap when she starts dusting off her shirt and Y/n smiles because even her hands are stained at a few spots.

“You have to pour boiling water over it. Or use vinegar.”

Y/n sits down next to her. It’s been a while since she came up here; they used to come here a lot after going out, sitting on the rocks at the edge of the lookout to watch the lights of the city and question their existence together with Lisa.

“How do you just know those things?” Sana whines.

“It’s called google. You should try it some time.” It’s mostly called being forced by circumstances for Y/n, having to wash Chaeyoung’s clothes when her mom was… unable to do it. But she doesn’t mention that.

Sana snorts at her sarcasm and pushes Y/n away by her shoulder, and Y/n laughs at the pout on Sana’s face.

The grass is a bit damp but not really enough to wet their clothes. Y/n huddles deeper into her jacket because while it’s technically already spring here in the city, the weather is still frosty in the early hours of the mornings and chilly at night. The lights look prettier tonight, or maybe that’s just because Y/n is up here completely sober for the first time.

Sana hands her a cherry and Y/n takes it. “Shouldn’t we wash those? You know, pesticides and stuff?”

“Nah, don’t worry. That bastard’s an organic farmer.” Sana pops a cherry into her mouth and spits out the stone. It lands a few feet away from them, disappearing somewhere in the grass.

“That might grow into an actual cherry tree.”

“That would be awesome.”

It’s silent between them for a moment and Y/n listens to the noises of the city, mostly just the engines of cars, dogs barking, music playing from open stores.

“Are you going to tell me what makes you steal from him? Every week?” Y/n finally asks, leaning back on her hands.

Sana purses her lips, which turns into a pout after a moment. “That farmer killed a bunch of baby kittens a few months back.”

“What?” Y/n gapes, accepting another cherry Sana gives her. Y/n isn’t the biggest fan of cherries but she has to admit that these ones really do taste very sweet.

“I guess he didn’t know what to do with them. I don’t know what the hell his reason was— but he put them in a box and dropped them on the highway.”

Y/n frowns at the thought. “How do you know it was her?”

“There’s a kid in one of our classes who used to help him out on the farm. He told us.” Sana explains and even looking at her profile Y/n can tell that she’s upset. “So Momo and I decided to punish her ourselves since the police won’t do shit and we don’t have actual evidence that he did it.”