Chapter 55

Y/n can't believe what she's looking at.

Right in front of her, lit up by the store light that make any product look inviting, is a selection of vegan cheeses.

Cheese. But vegan.

Her left eyelid is about to twitch.

After she left Sana's home almost three months ago, Minah seemingly made it her mission to do exactly what Sana warned her not to do, which is to pull Y/n to the "dark side", which in Y/n's humble opinion, isn't that dark anymore.

At least not after watching all those Netflix documentaries Minah told her to watch and having a hard time not crying because she was so torn between feeling horrible for eating that stuff and her mouth watering at the thought of beef barbecue.

Sana found her like that one night, sitting in front of her laptop and watching a video about how her diet might give her cancer or diabetes with a frightened look on her face. Sana made the connection almost immediately and Y/n heard her make an angry phone call, telling Minah to leave Y/n alone.

She ordered chicken after that and gently fed it to Y/n, smiling encouragingly, and did Y/n mention how much she loves her girlfriend?

Y/n sighs and steps away from the food section. She knows Minah will be disappointed but she remembers how the cheese she made her try crumbled in her mouth and she doesn't need that in her life.

She turns around to leave and immediately collides with someone, both of them rushing out apologies while Y/n leans down to pick up the items she dropped, the other person moving to help her.

"Shit, sorry I'm so damn clumsy."

"It's fine, please don't-" Y/n starts, but then realizes that she knows that voice and she lifts her head to confirm her suspicion. "Roseanne?"

Roseanne's head snaps up, eyes wide and lips forming a small 'o'. "Y/n."

Y/n stands up again, taking the tube of toothpaste Roseanne hands her. "What are you doing here?"

She doesn't mean it in a harsh way; she's just genuinely curious. This is the last place she would've expected to meet Roseanne again.

Roseanne chuckles but she sounds a bit uncomfortable; Y/n can't blame her. This isn't exactly her definition of a nice encounter either. "I moved here, actually. I applied for some classes here, my credits are all messed up from moving around so much so... I have to retake some stuff."

Y/n nods in understanding. "Ah, okay." She trails off, avoiding the others' eyes awkwardly. While she's already bad at small talk as it is, trying to keep a conversation going with someone who has feelings for her girlfriend is basically torture.

"How are you doing?" Roseanne asks.

"Great!" Y/n licks her lips and forces herself to talk like a normal human being instead of screaming in Roseanne's face. At least the other looks kind of amused. "How about you? It must be stressing." She laughs. There's no reason to laugh. Y/n's just nervous and she has no control of herself anymore when she's nervous.

"Ah, I'm fine. Sana's been helping me settling in and all."

Y/n blinks at her as she absorbs the words. She didn't even know that Roseanne moved into their town because Sana didn't tell her. She didn't tell her she was seeing Roseanne, either.

Sana probably had a good reason for not telling Y/n but anyway, Y/n can't shake the bitter feeling off the information gives her. If Sana and Roseanne didn't have a backstory like that, things would be different.

Y/n could stop looking at Roseanne like she's competition.

Roseanne must think the same, because her smile slowly slips away and she clears her throat, shifting on her feet.