Chapter 33

Her birthday approaches a lot faster than Y/n expected and with that, two major headaches; her appointment at the therapist Jihyo fixed for her and more importantly, her plans on officially asking Sana out.

Y/n has no idea how to do it and she is not sure if she’s ready for it. Not at all.

But it’s been months, and she knows she’s made Sana trail after her like a puppy and it’s just not fair.

And really, she’d rather have her anxiety swallow her up whole than risk losing Sana for good.

Two nights before her birthday Sana texts her and asks her to get ready and that she will be picking her up in half an hour.

Y/n wants to know why but Sana doesn’t care to elaborate, so Y/n quickly puts on a hoodie since it’s already dark outside and bound to get colder the later it gets. She tells Chaeyoung as much, who nods and has this look in her eyes – the one she’s had ever since she walked in on her and Sana.

Like she expects them to be doing that whenever Y/n tells her that she’s hanging out with Sana.

And honestly, after all the teasing she’s went through courtesy of her friends and the first few awkward days between her and Chaeyoung she just doesn’t really have the nerve to tell her little sister that Sana and her do not go at it every time they see each other.

Sana and her haven’t talked about the incident either apart from Sana apologizing for putting her in an uncomfortable situation when they saw each other again for the first time after it happened. Y/n assured her that she didn’t. Then there was a moment of silence before Sana cleared her throat and nervously looked at her to ask her if she would’ve gone further if they didn’t get interrupted.

Y/n tried to hide her own nerves since she saw how much it must’ve kept Sana awake for the past few days, so she gave her a quick smile and told her that she’s pretty sure she would’ve liked whatever they would’ve done if Chaeyoung and Lisa didn’t walk in on them.

Sana blinked at her before breaking out into one of her breathtaking smiles. She took Y/n’s hand and said she was relieved to hear that and Y/n is pretty sure Sana was thinking about it right then, because she suddenly got extremely flustered and her tell-tale red ears were back, too.

-

Sana’s already waiting for her in the parking lot by the time Y/n arrives. Y/n slides into the passenger seat, putting her seatbelt on before she turns to greet Sana. They smile at each other for a moment, both of them kind of blushing for seemingly no reason.

She guesses they should really stop acting like this given how long they’ve known each other already, but Y/n doesn’t think she minds it all that much. She still gets butterflies around Sana and wonders if Sana feels the same.

Probably not.

“Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.” Sana says as she pulls out of the parking lot. She’s wearing sweatpants and a soft looking hoodie, her hair a little messy and Y/n feels the sudden urge to hug her, which she quickly tries to shake off.

It smells like pink sands in Sana’s car. That’s not how exactly how Y/n would describe the smell – it’s sweet and fruity mixed with something that reminds her of the salty scent of the sea – but it’s what’s written on the little air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror.

The windows are rolled down and Y/n blinks her eyes against the warm night air. Summer’s getting closer rapidly and the weather’s been really warm for the past two weeks. Y/n might be more of a rainy weather person, but she likes this as well.