Chapter 21

Y/n doesn’t like to brag but if there’s one thing she’s good at besides being a sorry excuse of a daughter, it’s video games.

She doesn’t lose. Ever.

And Lisa – being the competitive little shit she is – never gives up on her dream of beating Y/n at Call of Duty one day.

So that’s why they’re sitting in Y/n’s living room on a boring afternoon a few days later, trying to kill off each other on the screen with some greasy potato chips and a shared bottle of sticky iced tea sitting between them.

For some reason, Y/n can’t really keep her head in the game. She keeps having near-death experiences and her kills are less than impressive unlike how they usually are. After the fourth time Lisa manages to get a good shot at Y/n, her best friend starts growing suspicious and gives her an amused glance.

“What’s up with you today? You’re playing like crap.”

Y/n pauses the game and stares at the screen for a few seconds until Lisa nudges her thigh with her foot.

“What’s up with you?” She asks. “Why’d you stop the game?”

“Do you know someone who’s asexual?”

Lisa furrows her eyebrows in confusion. “Asexual? As in someone who can’t get that up?”

“No.” Y/n feels mad at Lisa’s words when she knows she shouldn’t. She doesn’t think she would’ve probably understood what the term meant a month ago if Jihyo didn’t make her go look it up on google. “As in someone who isn’t like... you know, interested in sex.”

“Wait, people like that actually exist?” Lisa gawks. “But— it’s sex. How can you not like it?”

Y/n shrugs uneasily. This doesn’t go unnoticed by her best friend, who immediately turns more serious.

“Is there something you wanna tell me?”

“No. I don’t think so.”

“You don’t think so?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, what brought this on then?” Lisa asks. “You’re not asking me about asexuality out of the blue, are you?”

“I don’t know why I asked. Let’s just play.” Y/n unpauses the game only for Lisa to pause it again with her own controller.

“Y/n/n, stop for a second.” Lisa sighs and turns to face her properly. “Are you… you think you’re that?

Y/n stays silent for a while before she meets Lisa’s eyes. “I don’t know why else I’ve never had the desire to… you know.”

Lisa stays silent for a while, like she’s trying to grasp the idea of that possibility. “Well, I mean, I know you don’t sleep around and stuff but I thought that’s just because you’re one of those people who only have sex in relationships. And considering you’ve never been in a relationship I figured that’s why. But asexual? Isn’t that a bit, you know, far-fetched?”

“Why would it be far-fetched? I never once thought about having sex with someone. That’s not fucking normal at my age.”

“I mean, if you feel that way that’s totally cool, Y/n/n. I swear, whatever floats your boat but— but I feel like this is one of those don’t knock it till you try it-situations.”

Y/n gives Lisa a wary look. “You’re saying I should have sex.”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying. You need to get laid before you jump to any conclusions.” Lisa nods her head encouragingly. “If you don’t like it then you know for sure.”