Chapter 42

“Oh” Roseanne says when Sana and Y/n step inside, Sana waiting for Y/n to take her shoes off. She stops walking down the stairs, standing still on the last few steps with a bag slung across her shoulders. “Y/n.”

It’s almost like they’re back at Y/n’s birthday party, all three of them looking uneasy, except it’s all wrong because Sana isn’t with Y/n anymore.

“Hi.” Y/n says, trying to ignore how much it hurts when Sana moves away from her and closer to Roseanne instead. Roseanne keeps staring at Y/n, like she wants to say something, and Y/n doesn’t know how to feel.

“Uh, Sana, I think Minah still has my laptop charger. Can you go get it for me?” Roseanne suddenly asks Sana, giving her a strangle smile.

Sana looks reluctant to do so, her eyes flickering to Y/n before she hastily looks away again. “Yeah, sure.” She gently pushes Roseanne out of the way and disappears up the stairs, leaving Y/n and Roseanne alone.

Y/n has no idea what she’s doing here. In Sana’s house.

“Y/n” Roseanne speaks, making Y/n’s head snap up from where she was staring at the floor.

“Yes?”

Roseanne eyes her for a moment before she seems to completely sag into herself, her lips drooping. “Y/n, I’m sorry.”

Y/n opens her mouth, completely taken aback by her words. “What?”

“Please just— please believe me when I say that I never meant to cause something like this. I’m not a bad person.” Roseanne chuckles and Y/n feels a little awkward when she sees her tear up. “Love makes you do stupid shit. And when I… when I saw you with Sana that night it fucking wrecked me. I was drunk that night, and I was upset and I wanted you out of the way. I’m really sorry for causing such a fucking mess.”

Y/n is quiet for a moment before she finds her voice. “Are you and Sana… okay?”

Roseanne gives her a long, unreadable look. “We’re okay, yeah. But you’re not. And she’s not okay, either.”

“What about you—“

“No, screw me and my fucked up feelings. I’ll get over it, eventually.” Roseanne chuckles weakly. “But I’ll never get over seeing Sana cry because of something I did. It’s different with you. I don’t know why. She’s different when it comes to you. Just… like, I don’t know. Don’t screw her over. I won’t have it if you break her heart.”

Y/n opens her mouth to respond, because she’s confused and doesn’t really understand what Roseanne means but Sana’s already back, slowing down her steps once she notices the tense air around them.

“Everything okay?” She asks warily, her eyes on Y/n as she hands Roseanne the cable.

“Yeah.” Roseanne smiles brightly at her. She’s way too good at acting. She was almost crying a moment ago. “I should leave now. I’ll call you.”

Sana nods her head and wraps her arms around Roseanne’s waist when the other pulls her into a hug. Roseanne buries her head in Sana’s neck, mumbling something and Y/n looks away. “Be safe.”

Roseanne nods, pulling away to look at Y/n. Her eyes speak volumes. “It was nice seeing you, Y/n.”

Y/n just nods her head, her thoughts all jumbled and all over the place. She watches Roseanne leave, keeps staring at the door once it’s closed again.

“Y/n” Sana tries to get her attention again. “Come on.”

Y/n looks at Sana and god, this is so strange. They’re so awkward and Y/n’s heart doesn’t seem to get the message, that she isn’t supposed to feel like this when Sana clearly doesn’t feel that way around her anymore.