Chapter 34

Happy birthday Y/n!

“Thank you, mom.” A smile spreads on her face.

She sounds good.

She sounds better; happier.

I wish I could be there.” Her mom sighs into the phone. Y/n can hear birds chirping in the background and she imagines her sitting in the garden in the countryside, drinking some ginger tea with a slice of lemon and a teaspoon full of honey in it. “How is your day going?

“Mom, it’s nine in the morning.” Y/n chuckles, leaning against the kitchen counter. “I just woke up.”

What do you mean you just woke up?” Her mom sounds a little hysterical. “What about work? What about classes?!

Y/n gets a bowl out of the cupboard after hearing Chaeyoung walk out of the room. Her sister is sleepily buttoning up her school uniform, giving Y/n a grumpy nod in greeting. “My boss gave me the day off, and I don’t have any classes today.”

“Is that mom?” Chaeyoung asks, reaching for the bowl of rice Y/n hands her.

Y/n nods. “Chaeyoung says hi.”

Oh, I just talked to her yesterday night.” She hears the smile in the tone of her voice and tries to ignore the pang of guilt in her chest. Chaeyoung talks to her every day while Y/n has been very neglecting towards her. “Are you having a nice birthday party tonight?

“I’m turning twenty-two” Y/n throws a napkin at Chaeyoung’s head when her sister gets the rice all over her uniform. “There’s no need for that.”

Oh, nonsense.” Her mom scolds her. “I don’t want you to spend your birthday on your own again, you hear me?

Y/n sighs. “I’m not. Lisa’s forcing me to go out.”

That’s good!” Her mom says enthusiastically. “I can always count on that girl. I’m glad you have friends like her.

Y/n decides not to mention to her how Lisa nearly flooded her entire apartment yesterday night after spotting a spider in her bathroom.

Or how she called Y/n right after, crying about having murdered said spider.

“Y/n, am I going to hell?”

“Lisa, cut it out it’s two in the morning—”

“But it was self-defence! I didn’t mean to kill the poor spider. What about its children? They’ve lost their mom or dad because of me. Oh my god, I’m going to hell Y/n!”

“You’d be going to hell for a lot of other things before the murder of a spider, Lisa.”

She clears her throat, avoiding Chaeyoung’s eyes. “You sound better.” Her eyes flicker up and she catches her brother hiding her smile behind her bowl of rice. “How are you feeling?”

I’m feeling a lot better.” Her mom says, her voice a mixture of serenity and guilt. “I think we will go back home after Chaeyoung’s graduation.

“That’s good…” Y/n trails off.

You’ve been a huge help, Y/n. You know that, right? Your dad and I are so grateful for everything you’ve done.

“I didn’t do anything.” Y/n laughs awkwardly.

You did.” She sighs. “When I get back, there are some things I want to talk to you about. I think we’ve been avoiding certain subjects, and it’s caused you more pain than it caused me.