Chapter 1 Morning walk

13 hours earlier....

Jason's morning ritual normally included a jog around the nearby park but he had decided to take the puppies out to go the bathroom and his morning jog turned into a morning walk. Actually it more like walk ten feet and then stand  around for a couple of minutes as Happy found a new place to pee.

Fortunately Trixie only needed to go once and she was done.

He had to admit that even though he got the puppies for the boys he was really enjoying the puppies himself.  He loved watching them play together, how excited they got when they saw someone, the joy they brought to the Jack and John.  Even Happy's need to share his scent with the entire park.

Jason thought how he had missed having a dog over the past seventeen years.  He had wanted to get one in the early days of their marriage but Cynthia refused.  She said that she was much too busy to take care of a dog.  Busy with what he was not sure.  Drinking wine? Shopping? Going over her sisters?  Making my life miserable?  

Not taking care of the house that was for sure he mused.  I was once the one cleaning the house, doing the laundry, cooking the meals,  while working a full time job and taking care of the yard.  Whenever he asked her to help she would reply that he better hire a maid then.

Even when the kids were born she helped very little.  He had to hire a nanny to make sure that they were taken care of while he was at work.  All they were to her was living baby dolls to dress up and show.  And later weapons to use against him.

I guess it was good I did not get a dog.  She probably would have turned it against me too.  Or worse.  I saw how she treated her own son I would have hated to see how she would have treated a poor defenseless animal. She probably would have put it to sleep just to spite me.

Her cruelty knows no bounds. 

If she could could have done the same with Jack she probably would have he thought. I'm just so glad that I am finally free of that woman.

Jason then noticed Trixie squatting down. She looked at him as he defecated in the grass while Happy sniffed around her.

"Pick up your dog's crap jerk." A blonde bicyclist said as she road by.

"Planning on it." Jason said to her. She then flipped him off as she continued down the path. "That was uncalled for." Jason muttered. He then blew out an exasperated breath as he said "What is wrong people today?"

He then pulled out a plastic bag from his pocket, picked up the poop, and then deposited in a nearby receptacle.

Jason was about to head back to the condo when his phone began to ring. He pulled it from his pocket thinking that it was John or Jack calling to see where he was. The two were still sleeping when he left and he did not want to disturb them.

He pulled out to see that it was Lauren. Seeing her name caused a sensation of annoyance to ripple through him.

What does she want now he thought as irritation built inside of him. It can't be good if she is calling me this early in the morning. He found himself gritting his teeth as he looked at the screen. He was tempted to just let it go voice mail.

No he told himself. I'll answer it. If I don't she will just keep calling until I do. Or drive out to Maryland to see why I was not answering.

He then hit accept.

Besides she was pretty congenial when I was here last. She might not be calling to give me a hard time.

"Good morning Lauren." Jason said in a pleasant tone hoping to get one in return.