Chapter 4 The bully

Eighteen years ago....

Jason walked through the Glen Archer country club to refresh his drink. He had just spent the last two hours helping his father entertain his clients and he was not sure if he could go an hour more. Why couldn't he get Jimmy or Joe to do this he questioned. Why does it always have to be me who has to dine with his clients and put up with their inane banter?

Why I can't I ever just say no to know him Jason asked himself with a sigh. Because saying no to my father is never an option. When Anthony Winters tells you do to something he expects instant obedience. No argument, no protest, no debate. Just a yes sir like a good little soldier.

I'm not going to treat my kids like that Jason thought. I will never force them to do something that they don't want to do. I am going to be sensitive to their wants and needs at all times and never put my own ahead of them.

I'm going to be a cool dad not an authoritarian jerk who sees his kids as robots who must do his bidding.

Jason walked up to the bar and then ordered a whiskey sour. As he waited he heard his name called. He turned to see a man in his late twenties with long brown hair and brown eyes walking towards. The sight of the man filled him with annoyance. He hated the mere prescence of the man let alone having to talk to him. "Hey Samuel." He said with a lack of enthusiasm in his voice. He thought how he would rather be sitting with his dad's clients right now listening to them drone on about the hunting Safari they went on in Kenya last week.

"So I heard the good news." Samuel said as he slapped him on the back a little too hard earning him dirty looks not only from Jason but from the bartender and the other patrons as well. "You and Cynthia are engaged."

"Yes." Jason said as he moved away from him.

"Congratulations." Samuel said.

"Thank you." Jason said with a smile. "I still can't believe that she said yes."

"Same here." Samuel said with a tone of bewilderment in his voice as he shook his head. "I mean of all the potential suitors that she has had with so much more to offer she chooses you for some incomprehensible reason." Jason looked as if he had just been slapped in the face. "No offense."

"None taken." Jason said. The bartender then placed the whiskey sour on the table which Jason quickly grabbed. "I should be heading back to my party. I'll catch you later." Much, much later I hope. Or if I get lucky never again.

Jason started to walk off but Samuel called his name once again. Jason stopped and turned to look at him. "Before you go." Samuel said as he walked over to him. "I just wanted you to know that my sister is very dear to me. She is a very special young woman and she deserves to be treated with respect." He then began to straighten Jason's tie.

"I know." Jason said. The look in his eyes caused Jason's blood to run cold. He found himself stammering as he spoke. "Believe me I have every intention to treat her with all the love, care, and respect that she deserves."

"You better." He said with a threatening tone in his voice. "Because if you do anything that makes her unhappy in the slightest I am going to rip your head off and crap down your neck your next you understand me." He then tightened the tie around his neck and Jason's pulled away from.

"Yes." Jason gulped nervously.

"Good." Samuel said with a predatory smile. "Now that we got that out of the way." He then slapped Jason on the check lightly twice. "Welcome to the family." A satisfied look crossed his as he walked away. Jason took a sip of his whiskey to calm his frazzled nerves.

Now....

"Hello Samuel." Jason said feeling the exact same butterflies he felt that night in the bar. He quickly pushed them away telling himself that he was no longer that twenty two year old kid. That he would not be a pushover to him or anyone else again. "Percy, Perry."