Chapter 37 John's school

After leaving the school Jason had taken Jack home with the intention of sending him to bed. He had stayed up the entire night to give himself a haggard appearance in order to sell that he had harshly punished by his father. He also choose to skip two doses of seasonal allergy medication to get the red puffy eyes.

He could not help but impressed at his commitment to their little ploy. A little unnerved by how far he was willing to go but impressed as well.

He had Jack take his medicine and then told him to go bed but he begged him to allow him to go to John's school with him. His first impulse was to say no wanting him to get some rest but gave in.

Jack quickly changed from school uniform to a pair of jeans and a red t-shirt. On the shirt was a picture of a man with brown, hair brown eyes whose lower half of his face was covered by a black mask and was dressed in a black military looking uniform. Underneath the picture were words Night Soldier in black block letters.

Jason guessed that he was a comic book character.

They took the dogs out for a walk and then headed for Arlington where they pulled into the school at eleven thirty.

The first thing Jack noticed was the two six foot tall bronze statuet that stood on either side of the front entrance. Jack was not sure who the man and woman were but he guessed that they were probably the founders of the academy.

Once through the gate they passed a greenish blue three teir water fountain that stood seven feet tall that sat in the middle of the road. On the top was a golden chubby baby with bronze wings.

Okay that's weird Jack mused as they drove past it.

On their left was the Performance Arts building which was three stories long. In front was a garden which had several statues which resembled Shakespearen characters.

Beyond that he saw several other buildings spread across the campus.

What is this place? Jack questioned.

They turned into the parking lot of the two story administration building. Which had a statue of the Thinker in front.

"I think this school is richer than mine." Jack muttered as he got of the car. Jason shook his head in agreement.

They then walked into the lobby where there two wall fountains on either side of them that stretched ten feet down the walls. One lit by blue lights and the other red.

Seriously Jack though as he watched the water run down the wall. Sous chefs must make a lot of money he mused.

The two soon walked into the outer office where they were greeted by the secretary. "Jason Winters here to see Mrs. O'Brien." Jason said.

"I'll let her know you are here." The secretary said with a pleasant smile. The two then sat on chairs that were across from the desk as the secretary informed the headmistress of their arrival.

Jason had gotten in seat when the door to the right of them opened. A woman in her forties with raven black hair and brown eyes stepped out. Jason's eyes widened in shock as he looked at the woman. "Jason Winters." She said with a large grin across her face. "I wondered if it was you."

"Kelly." Jason stood up slackjawed. "Kelly Langmore." He then walked over to her and gave her a hug. He then looked over as he said "I can't believe this. What's its been fifteen, twenty years."

"More like twenty five." Kelly said.

"Has it really been that long." Jason said falling over himself.

"I'm afraid so." Kelly said.

"You look great." Jason then said.

"You don't look too bad yourself." She said as she looked him up and down. The secretary gave her an disapproving stare.

The two then heard a cough from behind them and looked at Jack. A feeling of chagrin hit him as he said "Kelly this is my other son Jack."

"Nice to meet you Jack." She said as she shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you too." Jack said with amusement in his eyes.

"Jack this is Kelly." Jason said. "She and I old friends."

"Yes we are." She said as she gazed into his eyes once again.

I'm guessing that you guys were more than just friends he thought as he looked at the two of them in curiosity.

It was the secretary's turn to cough. "Should I have John's teacher send him to the office." Cathy had brought John to the school so he could say goodbye to his friends and his teachers. He would spend the rest of the year taking online classes and then transfer to Westfield in the fall.

"Yes, please." She said to returning to a more professional demeanor. "Why don't you come into my office so we can talk."

"Certainly." Jason said still smiling. Jack was not sure if his father was ever going to stop. "Jack why don't you wait out here for John."

"Okay." He then sat down and watched the two walk in. "Can I ask you something?" Jack then said to the secretary.

"Certainly."

"She doesn't have any kids around the age of twenty five does she?" Jack asked.

The secretary could not help but let out a small laugh. "Not that I am aware of." She told him. "She only has one son and he is sixteen.

"Her and her husband.'

"Ex husband." The secretary said.

That bit of information made Jack uncomfortable.