Chapter 26 Worth

Jason walked into the lobby of the prison station expecting to find Turner waiting for him. To his surprise it was not him. "Wendy?" He said taken back.

"Jason." She said with a look of severe disappointment in her eyes. One that he found himself shrinking under. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Jason said. "My hand is a little swollen." He showed her his wrapped hand. "But I'm fine."

"I'm glad your fine." Wendy said as they walked to the desk to retrieve his things.

"How did you know I was here?" Jason asked.

"You called Turner, Turner called Sterling, and Sterling called Sam and I." Wendy told him. "I was able to get you out on a thousand dollars bail."

"Thank you." Jason said.

"Sam is going to see about getting the charges dropped." Wendy said. "He thinks that when he explains the circumstances to the district attorney he will drop the charges."

"Where is Sam?"

"He is at the prison checking on Spencer." Wendy said. "And yelling at whoever the idiot was that left a prisoner alone with the uncle of the child he assaulted."

Jason walked up to the desk and said to the Sargent behind it. "Winters." The officer pulled out a sealed manila
envelope that contained his wallet, keys, cell phone, and watch. He signed for it and the two walked out.

"You need to call the boys and Nicole. Wendy said. "They are out of their minds with worry."

"Did you tell them what happened?"

"No." Wendy replied. "I thought it best if they hear it from you." She stopped walking and with fire in her eyes she said. "What were you thinking Jason." Dismay danced across her face. "What were you doing going to see him."

"I wanted answers." Jason said. "I needed to know if he did anything to Jack."

"I thought all he did was stand outside the room while Jack was getting a spanking."

"He went back after he finished assaulting Zach." He said.

Tears of rage filled her eyes as she said "Did he?" She then choked. "Did he touch my baby?"

"He says he didn't but I'm not sure if I believe him." Jason said.

"What did Jack say?"

"That he does not think that Spencer did anything to him." Jason replied. "That the time at Anne's he just watched him while the other time..."

"Other time."

"Yeah at our old house he came into Jack's room and stood behind him but never touched him."

"If Jack said nothing happened..."

"Zach said the same thing." Jason said. "To me, my parents, Jack, and Nicole. He swore up and down that Spencer didn't do anything to him. But he did and I had to make sure Jack was not lying about it or repressing it."

"Why didn't you call us?" Wendy said. "We would have spoken with him."

"Because Jack is my son." Jason said. "And I felt it was my duty as his father to get answers."

"But you almost killed him instead."

"I wasn't going to kill him." Jason said. "I just wanted to rough him up a little."

"You were choking the life from him." She said.

"I know." Jason said. "But I wasn't going to go too far."

She gave him a questioning look. "Are you sure Jason."

"Yes." He said with confidence in his voice. His mind then went to him with his arms around his neck. The anger and the rage as it coursed through his body, consuming him. All he could think about was what that monster had put Jack and Zach through. How he terrorized his son and nephew.

That he needed to pay.

Doubt began to fill him. "Maybe." He said as uncertainty clouded his mind. "I don't know." He sighed. "All I know is that I was frustrated and angry and he was not giving me the answers I wanted and I was determined to get them even if I had to...."

"Wring the life from him." Wendy finished. "Even if meant making a horrible mistake that would not only have destroyed your life but the lives of your children."

He looked away in shame.

"I wasn't thinking clearly."

"No you weren't and it could have cost you eveything." Wendy said. "And Spencer is not worth destroying your life over no matter how much you hate him for what he did."

"You're right." He said. "I was stupid and I'm sorry."

"Yes you were but you don't owe me an apology." Wendy said. "Just promise me that you will never do something this stupid again."

"I promise." Jason said

"Why don't you give your kids a call so they know you are okay." Wendy said.

Jason was about to hit John's number when he realized that he had forgotten something. "Crap." Jason said.

"What?"

"Neal." He said.

"Edna's Neal?"

"Yes." Jason said. "I forgot to tell you he's in jail."

"For what?"

"Solicitating." Jason answered

"Again." She sighed in exasperation.

"Again?"

"Yes this is his thirteenth time being arrested for solicitation in three years." Wendy said.

"Thirteen times." He said dumbfounded.

"Yes thirteen times." Wendy said. "His parents can try to help him if they want but I'm not helping him." She said. "Maybe a night in jail will teach him to keep it in his pants."

Wendy then walked to her car. Jason looked at the jail as the words thirteen times repeated in his mind and then joined her in the car.