Chapter 40 The Summer of '96

"Jack." Jason said to his son as he laid passed out in the back seat. He could not help but how peaceful he looked. He felt a little guilty waking him and was tempted to let him sleep.  But he did not feel right leaving him in the car by himself nor did he want to sit in the car until he woke. Ge then began to shake him gently. "Jack time to get up."

Jack's eyes opened and he looked at his father confusion.

"Come on out buddy we're home." Jack told him.

A look of disappointment crossed. "I thought we were getting burgers." He said as he got out.

"We did." John held up a tray that had three shakes in it while holding a white bag in his other hand that had the words Regal Burgers across it in red block letters.

"We also stopped by the bakery and picked up pup cups for the dogs." Jason handed him a brown paper bag.

"I slept through all that." He said a bit embarrassed.

"That and the entire ride home." Jason said.

"You feel asleep before we left campus." John told him.

"I'm so lame." Jack yawned.

"Yes you are." John said jokingly.

"No you're not." Jason shot John an impatient look.

"I was just kidding dad." Jack said.

"Well don't call yourself that." Jason replied. "Not even in jest."

"Yes, sir." Jack said. Great I'm going to probably be spending the rest of the afternoon writing sentences he sighed inwardly.

Jason let out a breath as he rubbed his back. "Let's head up."

As they walked into the lobby Jack said to his father "So did you and Mrs. O'brien have a nice conversation?"

"Yes we did." Jason said grinning like the Cheshire cat.  There was a bit of bounce in his step as he repeated "Yes we did."

They walked up to the elevator whose doors were closing. Jack slammed the up button opening the door back up. They then stepped into the elevator and John then inquired "So how do you two know each other?" He then hit the button for their floor.

"I was wondering when you boys were going to ask me that." Jason smiled clumsily.

Jack mused how he must really like John's principal.  He never saw him act this way towards his mom. His father showed more interest in the rude bike lady than he did his mom.

"After your mom." Jason said to John. "But before yours." He looked at Jack who was leaning against the wall. "I was a counselor for a camp in Alexandria."

Jack looked at his dad in surprise. "You were a camp counselor?"

"Yes, the summer after my freshman year." Jason said.

"Why?" John asked.

"Because I liked the daughter of the man who ran it." Jason answered.

"Mrs. O'brien?" John asked.

"No." Jason crossed his arms leaned up against the wall.  "Her name was Mary O'Leary."

"I take it that this was an Irish camp." Jack said.

"Predominantly Irish." Jason said.

"So you dated this Mary girl?" John asked.

"Oh no." Jason shook his head. "Not for the lack of trying on my part but she was far more interested in the Notre Dame quarter back who was working at the camp." He then rubbed the bridge of his nose. "But Kelly was working there as well and when it appeared that I had no chance with Mary I asked her out and we soon started dating." The elevator arrived at its destination and the doors opened.

"Why did you guys break up?" John asked.

"Because the summer was over and she was going back to UCLA and I was going back to UMBC and we both knew that a long distance relationship wasn't going to work no matter how hard we tried." Jason explained. "We did keep in contact for a little bit but we eventually drifted apart."

"And then you met mom." Jack said.

"No, then I met twelve or thirteen  other women before your mom."

Twelve or thirteen Jack mouthed. John blinked several times as he looked at his father stunned.

"Maybe it was more like fifteen." Jason said. "I'm not sure really. I guess it doesn't really matter most of them did not go beyond the first date."

They walked down the hall and the sound of barking and howling erupted from the apartment.

"I guess they know we are home." Jason said as he unlocked the door.

The three walked in and they could hear the sound of banging as the three jumped around. "John why don't you go get their leashes on." Jason said as he took the tray and bag from.

John nodded and headed down the hall saying I'm coming, I'm coming to the dogs.

"Jack get some plates and napkins and set them on the coffee table." Jason said.  "We'll have lunch out here."

"Okay." Jason placed the bag and the shakes on the table.

"Dad."

"Yes buddy." Jason said.

"Are you going to see her again?" Jack asked with hesitation in his voice.

"I would very much like to."  Once again a large grin adorned his face and he found himself thinking back to the summer they shared. He then saw the look of Jack's face snapping him back to the present. "How do you feel..."

Jason was cut off as John walked into the living room with the dogs who pulling at their leashes. They saw Jack and began to pull John towards him.

"Hey guys." Jack knelt down to pet them.

"We better get them outside before there any accidents." Jason said. "How did their pens look."  The dogs were being kept in seperate pens though they would probably combine the pens soon so they dogs could keep each other company while they were gone.

"They were some pee stains on them." John told him.

"Jack can you take care of them while we take the dogs out."

"I will." Jack said.

"Come on." Jason said to the dogs who followed him out.

They walked down the hall and Jason hit the down button. "I was curious." Jason said as they waited. "How do you feel about me asking  Mrs. O'brien?"

"Its a little weird." John said. "But I guess its okay." The doors opened and they stepped on. "Do you think you will?"

"I think I will." He said as the doors closed and the elevator made its way down.

"Do you think you will marry her?"

"Marry?" Jason said. "How about I divorce my first wife before I think about getting a second one."

His phone then rang and he pulled out it and saw the phone number of his house on the screen. Jeremiah he thought.  He sent the call to voice mail and then returned the phone to his pocket.

He was not in the mood to talk to his brother.

Jeremiah....

"Jason please call me back." Jeremiah said with desperation in his voice. He need to talk to his brother, convince him not to kick him out of the house. I will get on my hands and knees and grovel if I have to. The phone then rang and Jeremiah picked it up. "Jason."

"No dummy its me Cynthia." Cynthia said.

"Cynthia?"

"Yes." She said with impatience in her voice. "Shut up and listen." She said in a commanding tone. "I need your help Jeremiah and I need it quickly."