Chapter 9 John and Jack

It had been a few minutes since their father left. They could hear his voice in the hallway though they could not make out what he was saying they could tell that he was not happy.

"Definitely one of our moms." Jack said as he sat up.

"Definitely." John said. "I don't get why he keeps answering the phone when they call.  He knows that they are just going to get him upset. He should just spare himself the grief and not answer."

"I guess he feels like he has to." Jack said with a shrug. "Since they are their mothers of his children."

"I think its nuts for him to keep putting himself through this crap." John said. "He should just let the lawyers deal with them."

"I agree." Jack said. Especially when it comes to my mom. He put up with enough abuse from her he does not need to put up with anymore.

John looked at his brother awkwardly as he said "Sorry again for almost losing the dogs."   He then began to pet Trixie thinking that he would not know what he would have done if he had lost her.  He was not sure if he would have been able to recover from that.

"I accept your apology."  Jack said.  "Just don't let it happen again."

"Don't worry I won't."  John said.  "I promise that is a mistake I will never make again."  I hope you don't Jack thought.  "I thought for sure that dad was going to spank me when we got back to the apartment."

"A month ago he probably would have."  Jack said as he grabbed a soda sitting on the nightstand and took a drink.  "I know he would have spanked me if he told me to do something and I did not do it."  

"I guess you got a spanked a lot when you guys lived with your mom?"  John asked.

"Practically everyday it seemed."  Jack told him.

"I'm sorry."  John said.

"Its okay." Jack shrugged.

"But you haven't gotten one since you moved out?"

"No."  Jack shook his head.  "Its actually been a week since I got one."  A whole week without a spanking that has to be some kind of record for me he thought.

"My granddad use to spank me."  John said somberly.  "I hated it."

"I hate it too." Jack said. He thought how he had been spanked by his dad's dad but not by his mom's dad. He just would put him in time out or make him do chores as punishment. "But I guess if we liked it, it wouldn't be punishment."

John then started to study the floor. "Does dad ever use a switch?"

Jack looked at his brother in sympathy. He had a feeling that he was not the only member of this family who had an abusive past. "No." He said shaking his head. "Dad used the belt on me or his hand. I got the hairbrush a couple of times but never a switch."

"Count yourself lucky." John said as he rubbed his back said he could still feel it as it tore into his flesh. He could imagine the only other pain he felt was worse was when he accidently touched a hot iron. And even that was a more pleasant memory.

"Did your granddad use a switch on you?"  Jack asked.

"No my granddad just used his hand." His hard calloused hands he thought. "Or his belt."

"I hate the belt." Jack said with a wince.

"Me too." John said.

"Did your mom spank you with a switch?" Jack asked.

 "No my mom used the hairbrush on me until I was eleven and then stopped spanking me all together." John told him.  

"Was it your mom's boyfriend?"  Jack asked.

"No."  John smirked.  "Sterling never spanked me he would just send me to room if I acted up."  John then gave him a questioning look.  "It was my friend's dad when I was thirteen."  His stomach began to tie into knots as he spoke.  "The first time was when he caught us sneaking his beer up to my friend's room."

"I got whipped for that too." Jack thought how he was twelve.  "Jesse and I were caught drinking beers in our grandad's basement and got our backsides beat by our granddad."

"Somehow knew Jesse was involved."  John jokingly said. 

Jack then laughed and then a serious expression crossed his face.  "What did you mom say about it?"

"That I deserved it."  He said with sadness in his voice.  "Just like we deserved to be switched for not doing chores and for..."   John then cut himself off.

"For?"

"For trying to call dad."  John said.

"You tried to call dad."

"Yeah."  John nodded his head.  "It was two years ago and I tried to call him to tell him about me.  She found out what I did and called Zeke's dad and had him switch me for what I did."

Jack looked at him floored.  "She had you switched for trying to call dad."

"Yes she did."

A rather unflattering word went through his mind.

"Have you told dad?"

"No."  John shook his head.

"Why not?"  Jack asked.

"I don't want to bother him with it."

"Bother him with it."  Jack said forcefully.  "He needs to know what happened to you."   He eyed the door debating if he should call him back into the room and make John tell him.  "If he knew that happened to you that would chase away all doubts he is having about fighting for full custody of you."

Jack could not believe that he had not told him yet.  This would be just the ammunition that their father needed to keep custody of him. 

"Tell him."

"Okay." John said giving a awkward look.

The door opened and Jason walked in. "Sorry about that boys."  He then noticed the odd expression on John's face. "Is everything okay?"

John went to open his mouth but found himself unable to talk.