Chapter 2 Zeke

Jason sat on the bench as Tina's comment went through his mind. Curiosity filled him as he wondered who called her. Lauren denied that anyone did but according to John honesty is not her strong suit.

Which he had no doubt was true.

But why lie about it he wondered. He saw no reason for her to deny it. Unless they threatened her in someway.

But with that? He questioned. Not seeing Jack again perhaps. He then scratched his chin. Or was it something else? Did this mysterious person have something on her? Something that she did not want me or the world to know.

But what?

He had no idea. What could she have done that was so bad?

I guess before I can figure out what I need to figure out who? Who do I know that would be capable of blackmailing a mother into giving up her own child.

The first person that came into his mind was Cynthia. She would do something like that in a heartbeat. He quickly dismissed her as a suspect.

She would have used any dirt she had on Lauren to hurt me not to help me he thought. She would have never help me get custody of my son.

No, no this was someone who cared about me not someone who hated me.

My mother perhaps he thought. Nah she would never do such a thing. Would she?

Jason was about to pull out his phone to call her when both dogs jumped to their feet and rushed forward barking only to pulled back by they leashes. What in the world he thought as they began jumping around and letting out the nose horrific cries.

Jason then looked up and saw the object of their mad frenzy coming towards the..

"I see you, I see you." John said in a high pitched voice as he walked up to them. "Calm down." He then dropped down to his knees and began to pet the two excited dogs. "Hey dad."

"Hey champ." Jason said. "Where's Jack?"

"Still asleep." John said. He had seen his dad's text that he was taking the dogs out for a walk when he woke up and came out to join him. He had thought of waking Jack but decided to just have some alone time with dad. Something he doubted that he would get much of.

4images lHe then saw the leash around his dad's ankle. "You need some help."

"I got it." Jason unwrapped the leashes while John held on to a squirming dogs. He then stood up and John put the dogs down.

"I'm glad you decided to join me." Jason handed him the end of Trixie's leash. "But I don't want you leaving the apartment without telling me that you are leaving."

"But I did dad." John said as they began to walk down the path. "I sent you a text telling you that I was coming to the park."

"You did?" Jason pulled his phone back out and looked at his text messages. "Yes you did." He slipped his phone back into his pocket. "Sorry about that." He then put his arm around him.

"Its okay." John said with a smile. "Did you want me to fix breakfast?" A couple in their mid twenties jogged by who nodded in their direction and the two nodded back. "I can make cheese omelets."

"That sounds good but I was thinking about checking out the bakery that just opened up." Jason said. "Do you like bearclaws?"

"Yes." John's eyes lit up as he replied.

"Let's go get some bearclaws." Jason said. "You can make omelets for us tommorrow."

"Okay."

As they walked down the trail John saw a golden lab coming the other way. The sight of the dog hit him with a rush of emotion. A memory of another dog entered his mind which he found gut wrenching.