Chapter 6 Can't be happening

This can't be happening Jason thought as panic swirled inside of him. This seriously can not be happening. He scanned the area and saw no sign of them.

This has to be a joke he thought. It has to be a joke. He could not have been so irresponsible.

"Where are they John?" He said getting upset.

"I..I don't know." He stammered as he looked around. "They were here a moment ago, I only took my eyes off them for a second." Or two he thought as his life began to flash through his eyes.

"You shouldn't have taken your eyes off of them." Jason said forcefully as put the food and drink down.

"They got to be here." He said with panic in his voice. "They couldn't have gotten far." He said as looked around. "Trixie!" John shouted. "Happy!"

Jack is going to hate me if I lost his dog.

"Trixie, Happy!" John called out hoping that two would come running. Please don't let them be stolen he thought. He looked at his father who had his phone out. "What are you doing."

"I had them implanted with GPS chips." He said as he hit the app.

"You did?"

"Yes."

Two red dots appeared on the screen coming towards them. "Wait a minute." The door to the bakery opened and the twins walked out with the dogs.

A wave of relief washed over John. He could breathe once again.

"Missing something?" Perry said with a smirk on his face.

"They were in the bakery?" Jason said. How did they get in without me seeing them.

"They were on the side patio." Percy said. "They were probably looking for you."

"Thank you boys." Jason said as he took the leashes. "Thank your cousins."

"Thank you." I'm sorry I called you guys douchebags.

"You're welcome." Perry said.

"You're ass is so grass." Percy laughed and John hung his head.

"Take the leashes John." Jason said.
John took the leashes. "Now hold onto them."

"Yes, sir."

"Thanks again." He said and the boys walked back inside.

John looked up at his father. "Dad I'm..."

"Quiet." Jason said sharply. "I told you to do one thing John one thing and you could not do it."

"Yes sir."

"I am so disappointed in you right now."

That hit him like a blow to the face. He looked as if he was on the verge of tears. "Go."

John started to walk as Jason grabbed the food. I'm a dead man he thought. He is going to kill me when we get back to the condo.

John sniffed as he thought I wouldn't him blame if he did. How could I be so stupid he thought.

His body trembled as he began the long walk to his inevitable doom.

A few minutes later they walked into apartment. Jason called out to Jack letting him know they were back. They then walked into the kitchen were a morose John unleashed them and put them in a drawer. He looked at his dad who placed the doggiechinnos on the floor and the two greedily dug in.

His stomach ached as he looked at him. His father had not uttered one word to him on their walk back. The silence killed him.

"I'm sorry dad." John said. "I'm sorry that I didn't listen to you, that the dogs ran away." His shoulders shook and he broke down.

"Come here John."

John slowly walked over to him with his head down. He then pulled his belt off and handed it to his father.

"Put your belt back on." John put his belt back on unsure if he should be relieved or not. Just because he is not beating him now doesn't mean he won't get one later. Also he might use something else instead. His hand, paddle, a much thicker belt. A switch. His chest tightened at the thought.

Jason placed his hands on his shoulders. He had expected to see the same flinch he saw in Jack to his delight it was not there. "Look at me John." The boy looked up. "I'm very disappointed in you."

"I'm disappointed in me too." John said.

"When I tell you to do something I expect you to do it understand."

"Yes sir." John said as water dripped off his face.

"You got so lucky today John." Jason said. "It was a good thing they walked into the bakery instead of the street where they could have been hit by a car or hurt by another dog."

"Yes sir." He sniffed

"You were also lucky that the twins were there." He never thought he would say that about Percy and Perry. "And that they got them before someone else did."

"I know." John began to weep. "I'm sorry dad I'm so sorry." He then buried his face into his shoulder. "Please don't hate me."

"Shhhh I don't hate you Jack." He said as hugged him.

"I'm John."

"Sorry." Jason said. "Habit." He hugged him again and then pulled away. "Next time you take them out you are going to pay attention to them right and not your phone."

"Yes dad." John said. "I promise."

"Okay." He said. "Speaking of your phone let me see it." John pulled it out and handed it to him. "I'll be holding onto this for awhile."

"Keep it forever I don't care." John said. "I don't deserve it."

"I won't keep it forever." Jason said. "But for awhile."

"Okay."

A worried look crossed his face. "Are you going to spank me?"

"No." Jason said. "I don't you need one."

"Thanks."

"But you will be spending time in your room after breakfast."

"That's fair."

"I'll have some sentences for you to write."

John could feel his hand cramping already.

He then hugged him and kissed his head. "Now sit down and have your breakfast."

John sat down and then said "Where is Jack?" He should be here by now.

"I'll go get him." He said concerned. "You eat " He then saw Happy who had finished his treat and was now chewing the cup. "Take that from him."

Jason then walked out to find Jack.