Chapter 8 Movie Time

Jason was originally planning to go into the office this morning. He had been out the last two days and really wanted to go in and check on how the stores had done. Also he was certain that there was a mountain of paper work waiting on his desk.

But after the emotional roller coaster that Jack had been through he did not feel right leaving him alone. Not even with John and the dogs here to keep him company.

Nor did he feel taking Jack to the office was a good idea. The last thing he needed was to have to sit around an office bored out of his mind for two to three hours while he went over sales reports. Even with the promise of stopping by the comic book store later.

Jason did have him call Dylan to see if he wanted to do anything. But he was at his dad's church and would not be back until after three.

He asked his mom if they could do something that evening and she said that would be fine.

After getting off the phone with Dylan's and an unsuccessful attempt to call Daniel's mother to tell her Jack's side of the story he had decided to take the dogs for a walk. The two walked around while for about twenty minutes while John remained in his room.

Jason did feel a twinge of guilt of leaving him confined to his room but decided keeping him there was for his own good.

After they returned he asked Jack what he wanted to do. Jack replied he wanted to lay down and watch a movie or two. Nothing serious, dark, or depressing. A silly comedy that he would bust a gut laughing at.

Jason told him that he had just the movie for him.

A few minutes later Jack laid at the foot of his bed wrapped in a blue comforter while Happy lay in the pit of his stomach. Jason sat up at the head of the bed and his lap sat on a night stand showing sales figures from the previous day.

"Hey dad." Jack said as they opening credit started. A series of postcards flashed across the screen as the song Holiday Road played.

"Yeah buddy." Jason said.

"Can you turn on the vibration?"

"Sure thing." He said as he picked up the beige remote that laid on the night stand. That's probably why he wanted to watch television on my bed. He pressed a white button and the bed started to vibrate.

Happy got up and looked around unsure what was going on.

"That feels good." He stroked the dog who laid back down.

"Do you want the heat on too?"

Yes, please."

Jason then hit a red button for the heat.

"Can I get a vibrating bed?" He asked. "Or a waterbed."
.
"No waterbed." Jason said. "I got one in college and it was the worst decision I ever made." An awkward feeling went through him. "At the time."

Jason looked at the screen and saw that the sports store in Frederick, Maryland did three thousand dollars below below on Saturday.

Ouch he thought.

"Can I get a vibrating bed though?" Jack asked as Jason continued to look at sales figures for that store and saw that they missed goal by fourteen hundred on Saturday.

What is going on with that store. He wondered if he should give the manager a call to find out

"Dad?" Jack said. He was now sitting up looking at him.

"Yeah."

"Can I get a vibrating bed."

"I think that will fine." Jason then wondered if John would want one too.

As if on cue John then walked in followed by Trixie. "Here's my sentences." John handed him several sheets of paper. On them was written I will do as I am told two hundred times.

"Thank you." Jason looked over them nodding his head. "Looks good." He then looked up at them. "You're going to do as your told from now on right?"

"Yes, sir."

"I hope so."

"I'll go back to my room." John said with guilt in his voice.

"Actually why don't you watch the movie with us." Jason said.

"Okay." John said. "I'll go get my drink." He then picked Trixie up and put her on the bed and then walked out.

She tried to follow him but Jason held onto her and said "He will be right back." The dog squirmed at first but then settled down.

John could not help but smile.

Jason's mind went back to the Frederick store. He thought about calling them to see how they were doing today but decided against it.

No I just need to spend sometime with my boys he thought. I'll worry about business tomorrow.

John returned with a can of soda in his hand. "So what is this movie?" John asked as he walked around to other side of the bed and sat down.

"National Lampoon's Vacation." Jason said. "I loved this movie as a kid." He then looked at Jack and said "Are you sure I've never shown you this before."

"Yes." Jack watched as the car previously owned by the Griswold family was crushed. "Oh man." Jack laughed.

"That doesn't make any sense." John said in confusion. "Why would the car dealership crush it instead of trying to resell it.'

"Rule of funny John." Jason said. "Its a screwball comedy try not to apply logic to it."

"Okay." John said. But it still doesn't makes sense. He then gave his dad an awkward look. "We're okay right dad?" He then cast his father a worried look.

"Of course champ." He then rubbed his head. "We're good."

A relieved smile crossed his face.

The phone rang and he looked at the screen. Jason blew air through his teeth and muttered. "What does she want?"

"Excuse me." Jason said as he got off the bed and walked out.

Jack looked at John and asked "My mom or yours?"

"Hard to say." He then wondered if there was really a difference.