Chapter 3 The Bakery

Aunt Helen's Baked Goods was on the same side of the street as the apartment situated between a liquor store and a gas station.  It had a small outside cafe area which consisted of four white round tables that could seat four with yellow and green umbrellas protecting the patrons from the sun.   A couple in their mid twenties sat at one table enjoying freshly made scones and ice coffee while another man in his mid forties sat at the second staring into his laptop while drank a French roast coffee. 

John did not know why but he had a feeling that it was black with no sugar. 

A metal A-frame dry erase board sat by the front door with the hours written across and the special of the day which was an apricot Cherry Muffin.  John was tempted to ask his father if they could order that but decided that he really wanted the bear claw.  

Perhaps next Sunday he thought. 

His phone then beeped and he pulled it out to see that Jack had texted him.  "Jack is up."  John told his father.  "He's asking where we are."   Jason had texted the boys that he had taken the dogs for the walk but did not text Jack that they were going to the bakery.  He could not help but feel a little bad for not doing that.

We are at the bakery down the street getting breakfast John replied.  He then added Dad is getting us bear claws.

Cool Jack texted.

"What does he want to drink?"  Jason asked he was planning just getting him a standard iced coffee put since he was up he thought he would ask him.

John sent him a text and Jack sent a reply a couple of seconds later. "A iced Caramel Machiato."

That sounds expensive Jason thought.  Then again if I did not want to pay a lot for breakfast I could have returned to the aparment and have John make cheese omelets for us and make our own coffee.  "What size?"

"Large."  John said.  The phone then beeped again. "He wants to know if you want him to come down."

"Tell him he can if he wants to but we won't be that long."  Jason said. 

The door then opened a man walked out with a Daschund on a red leash.  The three dogs attempted to say hi to each other but were restrained by their owners.  They stood staring at each other wagging their tales.  Trixie then playfully stood on her hind legs batting her paws at the new comer.  

"Come on Jason."  The man said much to John's amusement.  I so have to tell Jack that he thought.  The man then gently pulled on the dog's leash and they walked off.   Happy and Trixie both gave a parting bark causing the dogs to look back at them one more time before following its owner.

I think I'll just hang back here was the text John received.  "John is going to wait at the apartment."

"Tell him that we will be back in about ten minutes."

B bck in 10 John texted.  The door opened again and John looked up to see a blonde hair woman with blue eyes walk out with a frappucino in her right hand.  She saw Jason who she gave a look of disgust.

"Hello again."  Jason said to the bicyclist from the park.

She once again gave the middle finger as a reply and then walked to her bike.

"Is that your age or your IQ."  John then said which earned him a dirty look from her as she got on her bike.  As she rode off John asked "What was that all about?"  For a moment he wondered if his dad had hit on her.

"Nothing."  Jason said with an bemused still unsure what he did to offend her.

Jason handed him Happy's leash and pointed at an table. "Why don't you wait for me there while I get the food." The last thing I need is for Happy to bless the place with his scent.

John walked over to the table, sat down, and pulled out his phone. "John." John looked up at him. "Pay attention to the dogs not your phone."

"Yes, dad." He begrudgingly slipped his phone back into his pocket.

"Don't pull it back out." Jason said sternly.

"I won't dad." John said. "I promise." He felt pangs of nervousness as he reminded him of Zeke's dad for a moment. He felt the sudden urge to gulp.

Jason's demeanor relaxed as he said "Thank you."

"You're welcome." John said.

As Jason passed the fortyish man he gave him a look of approval and then looked back to his screen. Jason then disappeared into the store as a couple of teens walked out.

Trixie then pawed at his leg. "You want up." He said to the dog that was jumping up and down. He picked her up and put on the bench and then saw Happy staring at him. "You too."

Happy shook with excitement and let out a small bark.  He picked Happy up  and sat him on the other side of him.

John then noticed a man who was in his late forties with thinning brown hair and brown eyes walking up to the store.  He was pot bellied but muscular built. Behind him were a set of identical twins who appeared in their late teens. Like their father they had long brown hair which one wore in a bun while the other had loose on his shoulders.

John mused that they must not spend a lot of money on hair cuts.

One of the two boys made eye contact with him, grinned fiendishly, and then elbowed his brother. The brother looked at him, let out a small smirk, and then said something.

John frowned and silently called them douchebags.

The boy with the bun then said something to the dad. The dad looked at him which made John shift in his seat uncomfortably. He then gave him a slight smile and the three then walked in.

What was that about? He questioned.

"Jason." A voice called out to him. A voice that brought nothing but feelings of disdain and contempt. One that he would have been happy going the rest of his life without hearing.

Why is he here he thought. Of all the bakeries in this city why did he have to walk into this one.

"Hey Jason." The man said again causing him to wince.

He wanted to ignore the man, pretend that he didn't hear and pray that he would go away.  But unfortunately he could not as the man said his name once.

Jason winced and then forced himself to turn around and face the man who he has felt nothing but hate and resentment for for nearly twenty years.

"Hello Samuel." He said to Cynthia's other brother.