Chapter 28 Going to bat

"So how was your errand asked wanting to change the subject.

"It was..." Jason became chagrined as he said. "Eventful."

Eventful? Jack questioned. "What happened?"

"Let's go to your room so I can tell you and John at the same time." There were only so many times he could endure repeating this story.

"Okay." Jack said.

They started to head to the hall but a feeling of unease rose inside of Jack.  You have to tell him the voice the voice demanded.  No I promised Zach Jack argued back. He will way hate me if I break my promise. You need to tell him anyway.

He has to know.

The guilt grew inside of him. He tried to push it aside to avail as it only fought back harder, compelling to him to tell his father.

He looked into his father's concerned filled eyes. "I lied to you."

"Yeah I kind of figured that buddy." Jason said. "You have the worst poker face."

"I guess I do."

"What's going on?"  Did he leave the apartment without permission? Did John violate his grounding?

"I spoke with Zach." Jack told him. Technically texted but that is not important.

Jason's concern deepened. "He told me something in confidence but I feel that I have to tell you."

"Okay, what did he tell you?"

"But I don't want to break my promise to him." Jack said as the conflict continued to rage inside of him. "But I can't help but feel that Zach is doing something that could get him hurt."

"Jack if he is doing something that could hurt himself you need to tell me." Jason said.

"I don't know maybe I'm being overly dramatic."

"Let me be the judge of that." Jason said. "Just tell me buddy."

"I'll show you." Jack pulled out his cell phone and then brought up the video. He hit play and handed it to him. "Here."

"Okay." Jason said with a questioning look. He then looked at the screen and his face rippled with shock. He looked back at Jack. "He found them?"

"Yeah." Jack said.

Jason felt the overwhelming desire to sit down. "How?" He said as he sat on the couch. He looked at the screen as he as bombarded with a variety of emotions. She's alive. My sister is actually alive. Back with Scott unfortunately but she's alive. 

"He didn't say."

"I feared she was dead." Jason told him. I thought she was probably dead of a drug overdose.  He wiped his eyes that had begun to leak. "Has he told my parents?"

Or Scott's parents? They too would want to know that he was still alive.

"No." Jack said shaking his head. "I was the only person he told."

Jason coughed. "Has he talked with them?" He handed the phone back to him.

"No." Jack shook his head. "He says that he is working on a video."

"A video?" He questioned. "What kind of video?"

"I don't know." Jack said. "But I'm guessing he wants to make a video, tag them in it, and see if they will respond."

Jason laughed. "Can't just send a simple email saying hi mom and dad can he?"

"I guess not."

"Wow." Jason said floored. "I was not expecting that."

"I know how you feel." I thought he was going to tell me that he had a date not that he found his estranged parents.

"I can see why you were torn."

"Yeah." Jack sat next to him. "If he makes this video and they don't respond or they reject him he is going to be devastated and with the state that he is in right now I don't know how he is going to take it."

"Not too well." Jason then sighed. "I better tell grandmom and granddad."

"Wait." Jack said. "You can't tell them."

"They have to know Jack." Jason said. "I can't keep this from them anymore than you could keep it from me."

"Hear me out." Jack said. "He's been sending messages to his mom for three years." Jack said. "And now he has a chance to send a message to both of his parents and I don't think that should be taken away from. It will kill him. He needs to contact them on his own terms and not let it be ruined."

"We need to convince them to still allow him to do the video." Jack said.

"Have you met my parents?" Jason said.  They will want to call Destiny and Scott themselves and not wait for Zach to do his video.

"Yes that it why I was not sure if I wanted to tell you." Jack said. "He needs to be allowed to do it his way."
Jack's eyes implored him.

"How about this." Jason sighed as he began to have mixed feelings himself.
"While I'm telling you and John about what happened I will think about what our next move will be."

"Okay." Jack said. Jason put his arm around him as they walked down the hall. "Heather called she wanted to know if John and I could meet her at the coffee house tonight."

"You can go." Jason said. "But John is grounded so he can't go."

"Well can't you let him go and he can be grounded when he gets back?" Jack asked.

"That's not how it works Jack and you know it."

"I know but  he's been cooped up in our room since you left."

"For a whole three hours."

"Three hours can feel like an eternity when your confined to your room."

So can an hour in an jail cell Jason thought.

"I know that he deserves to be punished for what he did." Jason was going to say no again and tell Jack if he did not drop it he can forget about going himself. "But can't you cut him a little slack and show him a little mercy."

"You are really going to bat for your brother aren't you." Jason said. Just like how Sam and Wendy are going to bat for me and try to get the courts to show me mercy for what I did. "Fine." He relented.

"Thanks dad." Jack said excitedly.

"You're welcome." Jason said. "Now let's go see your brother."

Jason put his hand on his back and headed into the room.