23- Hard times

Kokichi's Pov:

A week has already passed since
Monokuma announced the motive.

At first, I was the only one in the infermary, because Kirumi said that 'I nEeD sPeCiAl TreAtMeNt' or something like that.

Thank you mom, for taking care of me!

But now... I was sharing the room with Ryoma and Kaede. They both looked terrible, i must admit.

Akamatsu was regularly having high fevers and sometimes she would lose her voice for a few hours. All her energy, that calming aura around her... Had disapeared. She was so... Not her.
I tried my best to cheer her up, and I guess she also tried to do the same for me sometimes... But even her support wasn't enough for me falling into the lies we both created.
That everything is going to be fine. That all this pain we're felling right now will vanish soon.
There are a few bad things of being a liar, such as these. I can't believe in her kind lies, even if I want to.

I truelly want to believe a stupid lie like this...

Ryoma... I don't know how to describe him. Whenever he's not walking around the infermary with no purpouse... He was crawled in his bed, far away from me and Kaede, crying.
I never thought I would see Hoshi cry. He went through a lot in prison and looked a really strong person. But even the pain we were being forced to endure was too much for him.
Even with all our efforts, Ryoma refused to talk about what he's feeling, closing himself in his own world.

Some times, Rantaro or Miu would come here and walk with us (individually) outside, so we could 'feel better'. At least that's what they said.

Right now... We are here. Slowly dying. Alone. The pain was getting worse everyday and we couldn't be certain if tomorrow we would be able to even walk anymore.

Kaede's Pov:

Suddenly, Ouma got up from his bed and opened the windows, one by one, like he always did every morning.

I'm a little concerned about him, to be honest.
Afterall, he was the one whose symptoms showed up first, and were getting worse. Kirumi was actually having a full job taking care of him lately.

-High fevers.
-Constant panic atacks, just like the one he had in the sleepover.
-Pale skin.
-Lack of appetite.
-He was constantly scratching his arms, leting wounds I managed to bandage when Tojo-san wasn't here.
-And I bet that just like me... He must feel this excruciating pain all over his body, like if someone was stabing every little part of it.

The despair disease... Was indeed driving us to despair.

"Get up. We're going for a walk." He blankly said, standind between my bed and Ryoma's.

"What? We're not supposed to get out of here alone! It's for our own good!" I refuted.

...but it's not that I don't want to...

"Ohh yeah? Guess what. I don't give a shit. I'm tired of being here. And so are you both. So let's just... Enjoy the little time we have left."

His dead eyes made me shiver. The Kokichi I knew was drained out and replaced by... An empety doll. No more laughter. No more emotions. Just a kid who was tired of waiting for his death.

"... You're right. Ryoma, get ready."

Ouma faintly smiled at me, and we both turned our heads to Hoshi.

"If I say yes, you guys will leave me alone?"

"You're not getting rid of us that easily. But I guess we can say that yes, we'll leave you alone... For now!" Kokichi replied.

We got ready and left the room, not knowing exactlly where to go, but not minding it either. Only the sence of freedom was enough to make us fell a little better.

"Hey Akamatsu-san! Mind showing us your lab?" Ouma asked.

"That's a good idea! I want to play the piano at least one last time too..."

One last time... The last time I will play piano.

I guided the two boys to my research lab and imediatly sat in front of the big instrument in it's midle.

"Any requests?"

Kokichi was exploring the room, taking all the CDs out of their shelves and taking a look at them.

"Akamatsu... Do you have any other musical instruments in here?" He questioned.

"I guess the are a few in the pantry..." I pointed him a little door on the back of the lab, close to a huge speaker.

The boy went in there and came back with a guitar and a box full of flutes, bongos and other small instruments.

"Hoshi, take one of these!" He said. Ryoma then searched in the box Ouma just brought and picked a silver flute, holding it on his tiny hands.

Kokichi claimed himself a chair and told me to play anything, and soon...

We three were playing and singing toghether.

I nerver thought a piano, a guitar and a flute would sound this good if mixed up... But i guess that me, Kokichi and Ryoma are also an unlikely trio... That somehow... Worked out beutifully.

Kokichi played that old guitar really well. Every note he played was full of emotion, transmiting all his thoughts and fellings through all the songs. He also had a good voice for singing, which I wasn't expecting.

Ryoma also knew how to play flute. Even though he didn't want to come at first, i think he was actually having a little fun with us, what made me happy.

The mellody filled the room as we all shared a good time with eachothers.

."Cough cough"

Is someone... Coughing?

I turned my head to the boy's direction... Spoting Ouma, whose hand was raised to his mouth... But still leting me see neon-pink blood escaping through his fingers.