33- Talk

Shuichi's Pov:

Kokichi left, crossing his arms behind his head, and leting me and Kaito by ourselves.

"I'm sorry Shuichi."

I turned to Kaito. He was heading down, ashamed.

"I... Shouldn't have said that stuff about you. So... I'm sorry."

"It's alright. In the end, you were correct. That's why I'm fixing things with Ouma tonight."

I took my black stripped jacket from the ground and put it over my sholder.

"See you tomorrow Kaito" I smiled at him and headed to my dorm to take a quick shower.

The truth is that I don't know how to start this conversation with Ouma. There are way too many things in my mind, too many unsolved mysteries about him I desperately want an answer for. And still, so few words I can put that thoughts into.

You can do this Shuichi.

Soon enough, after I got dressed and questioned myself over one hundred times if I should or shouldn't throw myself from the window instead, I was standing in front of the dorm's door with a pixeled Kokichi image over it.

Knok knok~

I pressed my fist twice against the door, my heart one hundred miles per hour.

But quickly, Ouma appeared behind the now opened door, his usual grin on his face. The boy stared at me for a few seconds before saying

"What are you waiting for Shumai? Come inside."

And so I did. Guided by the small boy, I sat on his messy bed next to him.

His room is much more organised than I remember. Last time I entered in here was in the simulation, and it was a total mess. Now, all the trash I had previously seen was gone.

"Yeah, I cleaned this dorm of mine a bit before you came by" He said, noticing my surprise.
"I can't receive a guest here the way it was before!"

Oh... so that's what happened. And I thought he was getting neater -_-
Guess some things never change.

"Soooo what did ya want to talk about?" He asked.

"I... Wanted to apologise."

"Huh? For what?"

"For saying you were alone. Kokichi, I should have never told you that. I'm sorry for misjudging you during the VR. You didn't deserve anything of what I said back there... "

I was about to cry. I said thigs I shouldn't say, especially to Kokichi.

"Ohh, so that's what it was..." He got a little closer to me, resting his head on my sholder. He was about to respond, but I cut through his words.

"You're not a villain Ouma. You are not the devil you think you are. You were suffering just like everyone else... But unlike the others, no one even tryed to help you-"

"Hey, hey. It's ok. You are not supposed to apologise for saying the truth, Shumai. I was alone. As I should be. It was all a part of my plan (that didn't even work) afterall. But now, you shouldn't worry about me."

He patted my back while saying these words.

I now understand why I was avoiding this talk for so long: it makes me remeber all the things that happened before, the regrets I have and mistakes I made.

"Remeber that the past is past. What really matters is what we're living now. And now I'm fine, Shuichi." He completed.

I never saw Kokichi being so mature. Usualy he would make fun of me.
But... He's actually listening to me and trying to help the way he can.

"No. I refuse to believe that is true. No one would be fine after going through what we, and that includes you, did. That's why I want you to know that I'm here whenever you need. Just- please, understand that you are not alone now."

Kokichi used his sleeve to wipe a few trears in my face, and then gave me a faint smile.

"I... Apreciate your words mister detective. But where did all this speech came from?"

"Kaito told me about... The morning after Yonaga's trial."

Kokichi's Pov:

Of course. It was obvious that that fucking asshole wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut. Fuck you Momota.

"Please Ouma. Don't do it again. You don't deserve that pain. I can't live knowing you are doing this to youself."

He was crying. He was worryed. He cared about me.

He doesn't.
He's lying.
You don't deseve his attention.

Shuichi got up and stood right in front of me. He held my hands in his, his golden greyish watery eyes looked into mine.

" It will be ok. Everything will be fine. So pelase. Please don't do that again. I know it's hard. So please, let me be by your side this time."

I also got up, keeping the eye contact with the detective before me, and hugging him tightly, I muttered, since all words exept from these were now lost somewhere in my mind.

"I'll trust you, Shuichi."

He enlaced his fingers in my hair and pushed me closer.
I felt safe in his arms, I finally felt like I belonged somewhere.
I belong to this moment i'm sharing with the one I always thought as trustworthy person.

"Thank you for all your efforts, Ouma."

And there we stood. Hugging. So close that I could hear Shuichi's shaky breathing calming down. He gently kissed my forehead and stared at me once more.

"I'm leaving now. Will you be ok?"

"Pffft, come on Shumai! I'm not a little kid! Of course I will!" I smiled.

The detective patted my head and quietly left.