36- Playing with fire

Kokichi's Pov:

"Kirumi!"

I jumped in the maid's direction. She turned off the stove she was using to prepare dinner and kindly smiled.

"What are you doing? May I help? May I? Pretty pleaseeeee?"

"I don't see a reason to refuse." She said.
The maid went to a cabinet and took out a choping board and a few vegetables.

"Do you mind taking care of these while I season the soup?"

"Sure thing!" I got a sharp knife from the first drawer and started cutting thin slices from the carrots.

"Why did you decide to help in the kitchen? I never thought you were intrested in cooking." She asked, breaking the not so awkward silence.

"Well, Harukawa-san is teaching Kaito and Shuichi how to shot an crossbow outside, and didn't want me to join. I wonder why... it almost looked like they were scared of me knowing how to murder someone or something." I shrugged.
"And so I though I clould help you over here, so at least you're not alone! You're welcome."

Kirumi chuckled for a bit.
"I appreciate the gesture."

"And I'm done chopping. Have anything else I can do?"

The truth is that I'm so bored that even watching a cake grow in the oven would be more exciting than waiting for something fun to happen.

"I don't think so... But if you want you can stay a little longer. The dinner will be ready in 10 minutes."

I nodded and sat on the cold ground.
Kirumi would run from the stove to the oven once in a while to check on the meal while I simply watched.

"Hey, Tojo? There's something I've been wanting to ask you. When we were in the Vr game, you watched your own motive video, right? And Monokuma said that that video had the same funtions as a flashback light. So... Do you remember anything from before the game? How we were, why did we agree to participate in this mess or anything like that?"

I've been curious about this for a long time. If she remebered even the tinyest detail of our past, it might be helpful.

Kirumi put her index under her chin, like she was trying to remeber something, before dropping her arm and saddly shaking her head.

"I apologise, but the only memory that motive video returned to me was related to my ultimate talent. Nothing more."

Honestly, that's disapointing

"I see. Thank you for trying at least... Hey.... Is it just me or something smell rather..."

Burnt

RINNGG~

A loud, high peeched alarm went of. Before I could even think, Kirumi grabbed me by my arm and held me closer to the floor, since a huge grey cloud was now filling the room.

"Ouma, we need to get out of here as fast as possible."

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

I got up and ran to the door.

It's locked.

"Kirumi I can't open it! Do you have the keys?"

I could feel my eyes burning and crying because of the smoke. The more seconds passed, the less I could see in the dense dark air.

No answer? Did she pass out already?

"OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT"

I don't have the keys! The door is locked? Or is it stuck?

I have to keep calm. Taking Kirumi out of here is the priority now.

Cough chough-

The air is getting heavyer. I can feel it in my lungs, burning my insides out. It hurts.

Without thinking, I place my palms in what I think is the kitchen bench, guiding my hands with my fingers to the drawer.
Finally, I find a box of chopsticks.

This HAS to work

Before heading to the door, I search in the floor for the maid. Eventualy found her arm between all the smoke and dragged her closer to the exist.

Taking on of the chopsticks, I fit it into the lock and spin it for a bit.

"Shit. This is impossible without seeing anything." I mumble to myself.

But I cant give up. I keep trying to lockpick the lock, not having any success.

It starts getting hard to breath. I already gave up on having my eyes opened because of the ashes and the lack of oxigen is starting to hit hard.
My head is spining around and I feel extremelly light headed. It hurts to even move.

With my last strenghts leaving my body, the only thing I can do now is...

"GET US OUT! OPEN THIS SHIT NOW! HELP... PLEASE help... help... plea-"

I bang on the door with my fists, but my knees fell to the ground as my body gives up.

But before blacking out... The door was opened by force and me and Kirumi were dragged outside.

I could see Maki and Tenko in the room, but everything seemed way too confused. The assassin came closer to me and scratched her hand so I could get up.

"You good?"

"Sure. What about Kirumi?" I ask. As the light headed sensation slowly fades away, I notice all my classmates in the dinning room.

"Kirumi will be fine after resting. What about you? Did you get hurt?" Shuichi asked, coming closer and holding my hand with a worryed expression.

I rub my temper. My head still hurts.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Why was the door locked though? And how did you know that we were in the kitchen?"

"The door wasn't locked, it was stuck. We heard the fire alarm from outside and thought that, if something had happened, it would have been here. Afterall, Kirumi was making dinner. That's when we heard your screams and I kicked the door open" Maki explained.

So that's it. This unfortunate accident almost costed two lifes. Awesome.

"Thank you Harukawa. I own you one. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to my dorm."