Bonus Chapter: Till The Doors Open

“Come on, wake up”

Someone was shaking her awake as she quickly sat up flinching away.

“Ok relax, it's me”

“Icarus? What are you? You know what, I don’t care, leave me alone” she said turning away from him.

He sighed but then broke off her chains.

The shackles fell off as she stared at him in shock and horror.

“Icarus? You just-”

He didn’t even give her time to finish before he scooped her up in his arms, carrying her like a princess.

“In case you can’t tell what’s going on, I’m breaking you out,”

He said walking out of her cell, carrying her along.

She was unable to say anything as she continued to stare at him in shock. She wondered whether this was a dream but her eyes softened into realization.

Icarus flapped his wings and gave her a smirk “Hold on tight”

She yelped lightly and wrapped her arms around him tightly as he started to fly across the halls.

“Icarus, this is risky and we could get caught. You can’t-”

“Don’t tell me you started to like this place?” Icarus teased her.

“What? Never in all my lives”

“Good, now stay quiet will you? The devils are at the festival but let’s stay quiet just in case”

She shook her head as a small smile played upon her lips. She felt her eyes sting and she nuzzled her face onto his chest. He smiled and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

“No more tears okay?”

She only cried more in reply. He chuckled softly and took in her lips. Their lips softly grazed each other as they flew across the halls.

“What do I do after I get out of this palace?” she asked after they broke off their kiss.

“There is no place in the underworld where you can be safe my dear” He answered, hiding his pain.

“Then what…” she trailed off realizing his plan.

“Icarus no.”

“Icarus yes” he replied confidently.

“No Icarus, this is crazy”

“I know right, Now look ahead” he said in excitement.

They entered a huge hall and her eyes widened seeing a huge crystal.

The crystal glowed and an intense amount of mana swirled inside of it

The crystal glowed and an intense amount of mana swirled inside of it. Icarus softly placed her down as she slowly strolled towards the crystal.

This crystal…

Mixed varieties of mana radiated off it and she couldn’t resist placing her hand on it, feeling the mana.

The mana of the Kitsunes,
of all who sacrificed their power, because of the devil’s torture

She turned around and faced Icarus who was gazing back at her. He was wearing a sad frown but he gathered himself and strode towards her.

“Quick, try to see if you can use your powers”

She had never once used her power in all her life.

So she awkwardly moved her hands and tried to summon her powers but nothing happened.

“I figured as much. So here, take this. you’ll need some sort of protection”

On his hand was a red dagger, sharp at the edges. A ruby was fixed in the middle and it glowed ever so lightly.
It reminded her of his eyes.

“What are you planning Icarus?”

He smiled at her and this time he looked so determined and confident as if nothing was stopping him from completing his plan.

“It’s simple really. They always wanted to create a pathway to the overworld, and they’re doing it with the help of this crystal. It contains the mana of all the fallen Kitsunes. Once your power is taken as well, the pathway will be created”

“So I need to give my power to the crystal?”

“Not at all. You can simply use the crystal’s powers by combining them with yours. I just need to start it up so wait a few moments would you?”

He was about to walk away to a table with various stuff and she guessed it controlled the crystal’s power. Her palm held onto his wrist as he turned around in confusion.

“What about you?” She asked.

He only smiled in reply.

.

.

.

She continued staring at him, unsure of what to do. She held onto the dagger tightly. She was wondering why she felt more misery than happiness.

Occasionally he would turn around to see her and give her an encouraging smile. She simply failed to return it.

“Quite the clever plan…Icarus.”

Her body turned cold from the horror of hearing that voice. She quickly turned around along with Icarus, and they watched in shock as the devil king stared back at them with a smirk.

Beside him, devils started coming one by one. All of them grinned from ear to ear, clearly enjoying the treat they found.

Instantly Icarus was by her side, shielding her as she tried her best to stay calm. Her ears were down and her tails swayed nervously, one wrapping around Icarus.

“You know, we were enjoying our festival when we decided to bring our pet for some entertainment. What a shock it was to me to see that she was missing from her cell and suspiciously, another devil was missing as well. Well I don’t have to worry now but I think you might need to”

The devil king spoke as the devils flew towards us. Icarus summoned his sword and within seconds, blood was spilling everywhere.

She watched helplessly as Icarus cut through every devil that came close. He blocked off all their spells with ease but she could see that he was clearly outnumbered.

One of the devils managed to come close to her but before he could reach her, he fell to the ground, screaming and writhing in pain.

Icarus’s eyes glowed red and some of the devils took a step back.

The devil stopped screaming and now lay limp, his heart dead.

"I'm a healer only to you
and to you only.
To everyone else out there
in this fucking world,
I'm a dangerous killer"

It dawned on her at that moment. Icarus’s power was not healing.

He could control blood, nerves, and the heart itself.

That is how he healed her.

And that is how he killed others.

As the fight raged on, her eyes were searching for one specific person. The devil king was standing in the doorway, a sadistic smirk on his face. But where was-

Something sharp nicked at her neck as someone wrapped a fist around her hair tightly. His hot breath was close to her neck and the high general whispered coldly to her.

“Looking for me pet?”