Chapter 8: Bloodlust

Yuu's POV

~ Moon Demon Army Headquarters ~

Yoichi's body, possessed by a demon, attacked us relentlessly. We were unable to fight back, paralyzed by the fact that he was not only my friend but also my family. I couldn't lose anyone else. Desperate for a solution that wouldn't harm him, I witnessed a glimmer of hope as Kyato regained consciousness. Yoichi saw this as an opportunity and swiftly redirected his assault towards Kyato. However, Guren swiftly intervened, shielding Kyato from the impending attack.

"Hey, Yoichi! Will you cower under the bed and witness the death of your own family, once again?" Guren yelled, preparing to take a shot. Suddenly, Yoichi's eyes underwent a startling transformation. He released an arrow from his bow, narrowly missing my head. In an instant, he returned to his normal self and unexpectedly leaped onto me. His faced buried into my shoulder tears streaming down his face.

"Welcome back," I said, a wave of relief washing over me as I gently patted his head. Awkwardly cradling my body, he whispered, "Y-Yuu-chan..." I glanced up and noticed the surprised expressions on everyone's faces, excluding Guren. Yoichi's triumphant return to his senses left them in awe. How peculiar.

Later on within the Demon Army Headquaters Kyato, Shinoa, Yoichi, Kimizuki, and I anxiously awaited orders from Guren for our squad when we witnessed a girl berating him. Presumably, she was our new squad member. "I'm an elite soldier! I joined the Annihilation Force when I was thirteen!" she bellowed, her voice resonating loudly. Guren, visibly irritated, disregarded her outburst. Frustrated, she turned around and focused her attention on Shinoa, launching into another tirade. Oblivious to the tension, Shinoa, perpetually cheerful, responded with a smile. "Hello, Mitsuba! It seems like you're having a good day," she chimed.

Guren, with an air of boredom, approached us. "This is your new comrade, Sanguu Mitsuba," he announced. The girl shot an enraged glare at Shinoa and unsheathed her cursed gear.

"I'm going to kill you, Shinoa!" the girl seethed, prompting Shinoa to burst into laughter and unleash her own cursed gear. The clash between them ensued, one with a smile and the other with fury. Guren observed them momentarily, but as their fight lost its appeal, he grabs them both by the neck. "Cut it out!" he commanded.

"As I said, this is your new squad member, Sanguu Mitsuba. Shinoa will be your squad leader. I'll call upon all of you when needed. Dismissed," Guren concluded before departing, leaving us to ourselves. I turned my gaze to the new girl, who met my eyes with an icy glare, giving me a slight chill. I ignore her presence and turn to Kyato continuing our prior conversation.

"There won't be a vampire that I can't kill," I proclaimed with a smile, and Kyato smirked alongside me. Mitsuba brandished her weapon once more, infuriated and exasperated. "You're a useless idiot. Vampires are no laughing matter. They'll end you in an instant if you're not cautious," she speaks quickly. Annoyed, I stared at her for a moment before walking away.

This Mitsuba girl certainly has her issues. I wonder if she'll always be like this—she's extremely annoying. However, I must remember that this is my new family, and I'll never forget my old family, Mika and Kimiko. With this team, I shall slay vampires. It's my bloodlust.

Kimiko's POV:

~Vampire Palace~

"Hey, Mika," I greeted him casually with an awkward wave as he entered my room. However, his serious expression and hint of sadness caught my attention. "Are you okay?" I asked, concerned for him.

"I need to tell you something about our family," he said gravely, gripping my hand tightly before we leaped out of the window and headed out into the city. As we walked the streets and alleyways of Sannomiya, we spoke about the past.