Chapter 16: Escape

Mika's POV:

~ Imperial Demon Army Headquarters ~

"Okay, it's time to go. Let's head out," Yuu says with a serious tone, his eyes reflecting the gravity of our situation. Kimiko and I quickly change into Imperial Army outfits, using them as a disguise. "Where are we going?" I ask, my mind racing with uncertainty.

"Don't worry, we have a plan," Yuu reassures me, but I can sense the tension in his voice. As we navigate through the halls and paths of the facility, Yuu appears almost lost. However, relief washes over us as we're finally led out of the headquarters into the city. I'm about to speak when we're abruptly cut off by the blaring speakers. "Attention! Attention! Two vampire nobles have escaped. All troops, start a search!" announces the loud PA system, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Oh shit, they've realized you guys are gone. This way," Yuu says, his urgency evident as he points and leads us into a dark alleyway. "What are we going to do now?" Kimiko asks, her voice laced with concern.

While we wait in the shadows, a major general approaches us. "I'm Major General Seishirō Hīragi. What are you two doing here hiding? There's a vampire in the city. Get out there and kill it," he commands with authority.

"Yes, sir!" Kimiko and I both respond in unison, our training kicking in automatically. As we step out into the city, the weight of our predicament settles heavily upon us. "Seems that no one notices you guys being vampires. That's odd," Yuu observes, his voice tinged with confusion. We continue our facade of 'looking' for the vampires while secretly searching for a swift exit.

Then, amidst the chaos of the city, we spot a group of soldiers circling a Horseman of John. "Hey, you guys! Help us attack this creature!" one of them shouts, beckoning us over. As we join the fray, I instinctively reach for my sword, only to find it missing. A sinking feeling settles in my stomach as I realize Kimiko is in the same predicament. "Shit," I whisper under my breath, cursing our oversight.

"Yuu, we need to head back to the headquarters. We must gather our weapons," I urge, my mind racing with the implications of our unarmed state.

"Why? Are you crazy? Everyone is looking for you guys. Why do you need them?" Yuu questions, his brows furrowing with concern. Kimiko shoots me an annoyed glance before speaking up. "Our weapons are designed as a type of human repellent. If, say, the humans decide to test our weapons, they will either self-destruct, leaving almost half of the city in ruins, or, um, possess one of the guards? Our weapons are not something the humans understand. We can't let them get ahold of them," she explains, her words weighted with urgency.

"Fine, we'll head back," Yuu acquiesces, turning around towards the headquarters.

Yuu's POV:

~ Shibuya ~

As we make our way back to the headquarters, Kyato approaches us in a panic. "What are you guys doing? The entire Moon Demon Company and Imperial Army are looking for you guys?! You need to get out of here!" he exclaims, his voice laced with urgency.

"Shh, keep it down, Kyato. They said something about their swords being too dangerous for the humans. But we need to collect them before the company tests them," I explain in hushed tones, my mind already formulating a plan. Kyato's expression shifts as he absorbs the information, and after a moment of contemplation, he offers a solution. "We're going to need to sneak them in, without them getting noticed by any higher-ups. I'll take the main entrance while you, Mika, and Kimiko take the back and head to the inventory station. Their weapons should be there," he suggests, his voice brimming with determination.