Chapter 2

"Ah, fuck. You've gotta be kidding me."

Slow clapping can be heard echoing through the factory.

"My, my. Mysterion, you are just as predictable as always. We really do have to stop meeting like this. People will talk~"

"Chaos."

"This time I was able to predict exactly where you would STEP. We really are learning so much about each other. It's been... What? Four years?"

"Why did you make me come here?"

Professor Chaos steps into the light, "Would you believe me if I said I missed you?"

"No."

"Aww, but I did~"

"Get to the point."

"Well, I was thinking. I could just keep killing you... Or I could just capture you! You can be all mine!"

"Spare me the thought of having to hear your voice every day."

"That hurts!"

Mysterion tries to lift his leg but it's no use, it was broken.

"Ah ah ah~ You don't need to go anywhere. You know, I was thinking. Your body always disappears when you die, so I never get to see your identity. If I simply capture you, I can just take your mask while you're awake. Easy peasy."

"Hah, good luck."

Chaos scowls, "Your attitude really pisses me off, Mystery man."

"Likewise. And it's Mysterion."

"Whatever. Let's get to business."

Chaos walks over to Mysterion and reaches for his face. Mysterion swats his hand away. Mysterion was a much better hand-to-hand fighter than Chaos.

Chaos chuckles, "Well, I knew it wouldn't be easy. Here, have some energy."

Chaos zaps Mysterion with a bit of electricity, knocking him to the ground.

"There we go, now your body is paralyzed."

Chaos kneels down and grabs hold of Mysterion's mask. Right on queue, Mysterion disappears.

Chaos sighs and stands up. "Slippery bastard. A cyanide pill was hidden in his mouth. He killed himself before I got my chance. Boss isn't gonna be too happy about this one."

Chaos snaps his finger, lighting up the room with electricity. 

-

In a dark room with no windows, Chaos enters to speak with his boss. A man in a big black and red chair speaks to him. "So, my child. Did you complete the mission?"

"No sir. He hid a cyanide pill in his mouth. I apologize. I will do better next time."

"You better, you know what happens to people who disobey me, yes?"

"Yes sir."

"Good, then leave. If you fail me again, I'll send you to the chamber. Go with Agent 3, he has a mission assignment for you. Go."

"Thank you, sir."

Chaos exits with a man in a tuxedo, "So, Mr. 3, what's my mission."

"Agent 3. And your mission is to blow up this building. It's an abandoned cider mill. Our man on the inside reported that weapons to take us down are being made there. Go in, destroy it, and return with any info you find on the weapons. Clear?"

"Crystal."

"Good, here is the location. You have one week."

Chaos takes the map and goes to his home to change out of his uniform. He slips the helmet he wears off his head and looks in the mirror at his sunken eyes.

"What are you doing... Leo..." He gazes into his eyes, he hasn't been able to uncover Mysterion's identity yet, and it was making his boss very upset.

Leo gets changed into a more comfortable outfit. He sits on his king-sized bed. Unlike Kenny, Leo lived in a luxurious condo with many rooms. A lot of space Leo had no use for. His cover job was being an accountant, but that was just for show, his full-time job was working with JNPR.

"I don't think I can take much more of this. I can't go back to the chamber... If I fail just one more time..."