Chapter 23

"Is your job really stressful?" Kenny sits.

"Yeah. There's a lot of work that gets dumped on me. What about you? You work 3 jobs, don't you?"

"I do. But I'm kinda used to that lifestyle, I've been working a lot of jobs my whole life. I grew up poor so I was dealt a bad hand financially."

"Sorry, that must suck... I have more money than I know what to do with. My company may suck but at least they are very generous to me."

"Yeah, it's a trade-off. Your mental health or money. I never know where to draw the line myself."

"Well, I don't have a choice in either. I would love to be able to do whatever I want someday..."

"Leo... I'm sure you will. Things will get better."

"I hope so... I have someone who said they could help me. I just hope he can actually do it... And do it safely..."

"A friend?"

"I guess so... I don't actually have many friends. It's really just you and him. My work makes it hard to go out and socialize."

"I'm the same way. I work constantly, I had friends but they all left when I got into working more."

"That sucks..."

"Well, it is what it is..."

"I won't leave you. I can stay here as your friend no matter what."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"I'm glad. I haven't heard someone say that in a long time..."

"Well, it's true."

"Leo..."

"Kenny? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I can see the night sky through the window behind you. It's framing your silhouette. You look like a painting right now... I just want to..."

"Kenny..?"

Kenny slowly leans towards Leo. He closes his eyes and parts his lips. 

Leo stops him, putting a hand on Kenny's mouth to keep it away from his own.

"I-I'm sorry- I can't... You aren't... him..."

"Him?"

"Yeah..."

Kenny sits back. "Who?"

Leo sighs and hugs his knees. "The guy I mentioned earlier... Sorry, but I can't be with you... Not when I..."

"Do you like him? The guy you mentioned?"

"I-I think so... No... I definitely do..."

"I see..."

"Sorry, Kenny. You're a great guy, really. I just have someone else in my heart right now..."

Kenny does his best to hold back a smile. "It's okay. I understand. I was just acting on impulse anyway. No big deal."

"If you say so..."

"Have you ever kissed anyone before?"

"No..."

"And you want to kiss him?"

"...yes..."

"I see..."

"..."

Kenny stands up, "I uh, should go to bed... Get some sleep." He walks away.

Leo feels bad that he turned Kenny away. He rests his head in his arms. "Sorry..."

Kenny goes into his room, shuts the door, and slowly slides his back down it until he is sitting on the floor. He cups his hands over his mouth as he breathes slowly but heavily. His eyes widen, and his face was the reddest it had ever been.