Chapter 7

When Kenny gets home he changes into pajamas. It was a long day for him. Before going to bed he writes the name LEO on his whiteboard and underlines it twice.

"Leo... Can I really trust you? I would feel worse if I let you suffer than if I ended up getting tricked by you..."

He passes out as soon as he hits his bed. The pizza Leo had given him made him feel cozy. Hot meals like that were a rarity.

-

It's Kenny's day off. He decides to do some looking into Leo, not as Mysterion but as Kenny.

Kenny gets to the big condo complex downtown, he can't just go in, since that would be suspicious. He decides to linger outside, seeing what kind of people enter or exit the building, and waiting to see if Leo comes out. 

Nothing special happens, just a bunch of nice-looking people going in and out of the building. At 5 pm, Leo finally comes out for his daily walk.

Kenny almost doesn't catch him, "E-excuse me? Sir?"

Leo turns around to face Kenny, "Hey, can I help you?"

"Yeah. I'm new around here, and I'm a bit lost... Could you give me directions?"

"Sure, where are you trying to go?"

"I'm supposed to meet a professor at some place called Juniper. Do you maybe know what that could mean?"

Leo scowls, "No. Sorry, I can't help you."

Kenny jogs to catch up with Leo's increasing pace. "Are you sure? You don't have any ideas? My boss might get really mad at me if I don't go. I just need to know if there's someone I can talk to who might know about juni-" Kenny is cut off when Leo pulls him into an alleyway. 

Leo puts his hand over Kenny's mouth and watches the entrance to the alley. A group of suited men walks past, looking around the street. Once they pass Leo releases his grip on Kenny's face.

"Sir?" Kenny tilts his head.

"Come with me." Leo grabs hold of Kenny's hand and drags him down the street.

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere we can talk."

Leo pulls Kenny into a coffee shop. They sit down at a booth and Leo hands him a menu.

"Don't order anything, just talk."

"Okay?"

"Who sent you to find JNPR?"

"I just got a letter, it said it was from my boss."

Kenny was making things up as he went, his mind didn't work very fast, and improv wasn't his strong suit.

"Where do you work."

"Just the uh, B*rger K*ing down the road."

"Listen to me. Don't look into that letter anymore. You could get hurt."

"Why?"

"This town has a villain, his name is professor chaos, the name in the letter suggests that you may be sent to meet with him. He isn't a good guy. Stay safe and ignore anything concerning this topic."

"I don't follow."

"That's okay." Leo puts down the menu. "My name is Leo. What's yours?"

"Kenny."

"Kenny?"

"Yep."

"Okay. If you ever get into trouble in this town, just say you're a friend of mine. It'll get you out of any bad situation."

"Wouldn't that get you in trouble?"

"I can deal with that myself."

"If you say so...

Leo smiles at Kenny, "I'm just glad that maybe, I can save you. One person is better than none, right?"

This hit a soft spot with Kenny. Based on all the things they were talking about the previous night, he really didn't seem to have any support. Kenny can't support Leo as Mysterion and an enemy of JNPR, but he might be able to help as Kenny. Person to person.