Chapter 9

Leo slumps back into his house and gets changed out of his Chaos outfit. He hides it behind the painting as usual and makes a hot cup of tea to drink while he watches the News.

Leo always watched the News after a big job, he wanted to know how much damage he did.

"That's a big fire out there... I need to hold back a bit more." He huddles his tea.

His balcony door opens. Mysterion.

"Mysterion? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be dealing with that?" He points at the fire on the tv.

"No, the firemen are going to take care of it. I need to ask you something."

"Okay."

"Do you know what that was about? Chaos isn't one to act out, there is always a reason for what he does, but this time he just seemed to destroy things and leave."

"A diversion."

"For what?"

"Not sure, but that was probably a diversion. Or a test, I can't be too sure. Are you okay? You look tired..."

"Well, I do work pretty late nights..."

Leo giggles, "Haha, that's quite the understatement. Do you want tea? I could use the company."

"I can't. Thank you for the offer, and for the info. I'll be seeing you, Leo."

Leo softly waves goodbye as Mysterion disappears out the window.

"He really came back... Maybe... Maybe there is hope..."

-

Kenny lies in his bed thinking about his day with Leo. Leo was a kind person but he seemed like he was blocking himself off for some reason. 

"JNPR and Professor Chaos must've really done a number on the poor guy... What's this punishment he was talking about? What could scare someone that much..?"

He decides to take a look at his evidence collection, to see if there is anything related to punishment for JNPR employees. Kenny does his best to recount the events of the day, three things linger in his mind. 

1. The look of terror in Leo's eyes when he mentioned a punishment

2. Leo's laugh, his giggle. It was playful and soft. That sound was playing through Kenny's head like a catchy song

3. The fact that Leo pulled him down an alley to keep him out of JNPR's eyes. The way Leo held Kenny against the wall so carefully to hide him

"This dude really is something special. I think I can use him. I want to trust him. I'm sure he wants JNPR taken down just as much as me, and I could use a man on the inside."

Kenny jots down a few more details about Leo and pins them on his wall. None of his clues made sense yet, but he knew he was getting close to something that could tie it all together, Professor Chaos was the final key.

"Maybe I can save him..."

Kenny takes out the phone number Leo had given him, "Worth a try, right?"

Leo's phone rings, an unknown number, and he almost doesn't answer.

"This is Leopold."

"Leo, hey. It's Mysterion. Do you have time tomorrow? I would like to discuss JNPR with you in more detail."

Leo smiles, his cheeks giving off a tint of red, "Yes! I should be free all day. You can come to my place anytime. I'll leave my window unlocked."

"Perfect."

"..."

"Leo?"

"Y-yes?"

"Get some sleep." Mysterion hangs up.