Chapter 31

Mysterion slowly pulls the helmet off Leo's head, revealing his face. Leo's face was a mess, it had blood on it and was sunken and blue. Mysterion almost couldn't recognize him. But he did, he knew it was Leo.

"You... You're alive... You survived! You weren't in that building! Oh, oh god I almost killed you..."

Mysterion looks around, there's no one in sight. "Fuck... What do I do? Leo? Leo wake up!"

"..."

"Damn it!"

Mysterion picks Leo up and carries him to his recently reconstructed house. He sets him on a bed and takes care of his injuries.

-

Leo opens his eyes, "I'm alive..?"

"You are." Kenny is sitting next to the bed, looking at Leo.

"Kenny! You're okay! What... happened? Why am I here... Wait... you're too close to me... Kenny you need to run away, please, run as far as you can."

"Leo, I'm fine, you aren't a danger to me."

Leo holds his head in his hands, and his eyes widen, "GET AWAY FROM ME! I'LL JUST HURT YOU!!" He screams.

Kenny gives Leo a sad look. "What did they do to you..."

Kenny hugs Leo as tightly as he can until he calms down and stops screaming. "You're safe, Leo."

"I-"

"You're safe."

"Safe..."

"That's right."

"Kenny... How did I get here?"

"It's a long story. I'll explain it to you, but there's something else I need to tell you first." Kenny gets up and leaves the room.

"Where are you going..."

Kenny walks back into the room a few minutes later, in full Mysterion uniform just without the mask.

"Oh, my god..."

"Now we both know who we are. It only took us 10 years but we did it."

"You were Mysterion?"

"Yeah."

"Woah..."

"If you think you're surprised imagine how surprised I was when I found out I almost killed you..."

"Oh... right... Aren't you mad? Aren't you angry that I lied to you? I killed you so many times..."

"Well, a little bit, but then I remembered all the things you told me about JNPR, and it all made sense. They made you do these things, didn't they?"

"Yeah..."

"Do you wanna tell me everything now? A backstory might help here."

Leo does his best to recall everything that has happened from when he first got his power to when he recently got released from the chamber.

Kenny's eyes are wide, and a couple of tears are falling from them. "Leo... That's... horrible..."

"Do you understand now why I wanted you to kill me?"

"I guess so... I don't think I would want to live knowing I would go back there..."

"So, kill me. Please."

"No."

"But you said you understood."

"I understand where you're coming from but I won't kill you and I won't let you die."

"Why?"

"Because I love you, Leo. I'm not letting go of the person who means the most to me."

"Mysterion..."

"Just call me Kenny now."

"Kenny, you... love me?"

"I do."

Leo breaks down into tears, then he sobs. All the emotion that had been ripped from him in the chamber was suddenly flooding back into him, he felt everything. His eyes regained their shine.

Leo hugs Kenny and cries into his shirt. "It's okay Leo. Let it out. Cry as much as you want. I'm right here."