Chapter 24

Leo stares at his text messages with Mysterion. He hadn't admitted to himself that he liked him, but now he knew it was true. After Kenny tried to kiss him he impulsively stopped the kiss because he wanted his first kiss to be with Mysterion.

"I guess I really do like him... Why... The one person I could never be with... He doesn't even realize that I'm chaos... he hates chaos... he hates me..."

Suddenly, he gets a text.

Mysterion: Leo, I know it's late, but do you want to meet me at the park?

Leo: Yes! I'll be there in a minute, I just need to get dressed!

Leo hurries to his room to get his shoes and jacket. Then he runs to Kenny's door to say goodbye. "Kenny? I'm gonna run an errand really quick, I'll be back soon."

"Okay." Kenny is halfway in his costume, getting ready to jump out the window to meet with Leo as Mysterion.

-

"Where is he..?" Leo looks around the park.

Mysterion leaps down from a tree, "Hey Leo. Did you wait long?"

Leo smiles, "Nope! I just got here. Why did you want to meet with me?"

"Well, it's been a while. And I can't stop by your house. I wanted to see you."

Leo blushes, "You called me out because you wanted to see me?"

"Yeah. Is that okay?"

"Yes!"

"Cool. Let's go sit on the hill. We can watch the stars."

They both climb a grass hill and sit atop it. Leo hugs his knees and rests his head on them, looking at Mysterion.

"It's just like that first time. When we watched the meteor shower together."

"Yeah, it is. That was fun."

"I agree. I always have fun with you, Leo."

"Me too..."

They sit in silence, Mysterion watches the night sky while Leo watches him.

"Leo?"

"Hmm?"

"You would tell me if you were in danger, right?"

"I would. Why do you ask?"

"It's just getting more and more dangerous in this town. Things keep getting destroyed and it's a miracle there have been so few casualties. I wouldn't be able to cope with losing you."

"I'll be okay. I've been working with JNPR for almost a decade. I know how to survive in this place."

"Still, I worry. Call me anytime and I'll come to your rescue. No matter what the situation is. I promise."

"You don't need to make promises, Mysterion."

"Do you not believe that I can keep them?"

"It's not that... just... sometimes it's impossible to keep a promise. I wouldn't want you blaming yourself for something you couldn't have stopped."

"..."

Leo saw Mysterion's expression change, he looked like he was in pain. "Mysterion? Are you okay?"

Mysterion turns to Leo and gives a gentle smile, "I am. I'm just worried about you. I think I'll always worry about you, no matter what you tell me."

"Sorry, I guess I'm a bit of a burden."

"No! You aren't! You're the best thing that has happened to me in years, Leo."

"What does that mean?"

"It just means I'm grateful to have you in my life. You make me a better person."

Leo lies down on the grass and looks at the sky. "A better person... I think you make me like that too."