013,

CHAPTER THIRTEEN , episode ten, the moment of truth

CHAPTER THIRTEEN ,
episode ten, the moment of truth.

MERLIN's MOTHER, hunith, had come to camelot in tears in hope for help from someone. anyone. merlin helped her immediately and rushed to the kingdom so she could have an audience with the king, which arthur managed to get for her. isabella took notice of the bruise around her eye and shared a nervous look with morgana.

"the winters are harsh in ealdor and there are many children. some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. we barely have enough food as it is and if kanen takes our harvest...our children won't live to see another summer." she explained, her voice breaking as isabella frowned. "please, we need your help."

"ealdor is in cenred's kingdom. your safety is his responsibility." king uther replied as hunith sighed.

"we've appealed to our king, but he cares little for the outlying regions. you're our only hope."

the king sighed slightly and looked down in thought. "i have the deepest sympathy for you. and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth." uther told her.

"you'll help us?" hunith asked in shock.

"i wish i could." uther replied.

"surely we can spare a few men?" arthur asked with a slight frown.

"resources are not the problem." the king responded.

"then what is?" morgana demanded with a raised brow.

"ealdor lies beyond the ridge of aesctir. for an army of camelot to enter, it would be an act of war."

hunith got down to her knees to beg, merlin stepped forward slightly. "i know you're a good king, a caring man. i'm begging you. help us, please." tears filled her eyes.

"the accord we've struck with cenred was years in the making. i cannot risk hundreds of lives for the sake of one village...i'm afraid camelot cannot help." he told her as hunith looked down as tears rolled down her cheeks.

isabella shook her head and stood up from her throne to help hunith up, morgana following behind her as they walked out of the throne room. "i'm sorry, hunith." isabella spoke up.

"you know that if it were up to arthur or me we would already be on our way." she told merlin's mother who nodded with a small smile.

she patted isabella's cheek, "you're a good person. and you will be a good queen one day...thank you to you both for trying." she told isabella and morgana who bowed their heads as a sign of respect.