024,

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR, episode seven, the witchfinder

episode seven, the witchfinder.

THE PEOPLE of camelot had requested an audience with the king. apparently, they had spotted someone doing magic. isabella could only guess merlin had something to do with it.

the princess of devlin and camelot ( yes, after katrina was exposed they were crowned prince and princess again ) sat next to morgana on her throne as she listened to the people speak. the king was stood in front of them whilst arthur stood by his throne.

"it was sorcery you saw? you are certain of it?" he asked as the woman, cathryn, nodded. "and you swear this before your king?"

"i swear it." cathryn said as isabella glanced at merlin who looked down.

isabella raised a brow at his reaction, and turned back to cathryn. "perhaps your eyes deceived you. trick of the light. or a gust of wind." she spoke carefully.

"the smoke was alive, i tell you." cathryn shook her head firmly. "i feared for my life."

"i thank you for bringing this to my attention. your loyalty will not go unrewarded." uther told her as cathryn smiled.

"thank you, sire." she bowed her head, before turning to leave.

the king sighed, "it cannot continue." he said angrily.

"perhaps isabella is right—she simply saw the smoke in the corner of her eye and her mind played tricks on her." morgana suggested, not liking uther's words.

"she swore in front of her king." he replied firmly.

"i will hunt down those responsible, father." arthur spoke up, "i assure you they will not escape unpunished."

"no." the king stopped him. "stronger methods are called for.

isabella glanced at him with a small frown and gaius widened his eyes in realisation and slight fear. "send for the witchfinder!" uther called out.

isabella gulped as the guards left the room, and she glanced nervously around the room, where gasps were heard. even morgana looked fearful. "sire, is it really necessary to resort to such measures?" gaius asked.

"the witchfinder is a trusted ally, gaius. his help will be valuable." he said as gaius nodded slowly.

isabella noticed him and merlin leave and got up to follow, picking up her skirts as she jogged to catch up. "who is the witchfinder?" she asked quietly.