Talk

Everything Regenia looked through was useless

Everything Regenia looked through was useless. How in the hell was she to build a case off of hearsay? She understood the state of New York wanted Romano off their streets, but to be true, he was better than the petty gangs and so-called drug lords the cops were protecting. Still, this was her job, and Regenia didn't know where to begin, and truly she thought this was a setup. The men at the precinct were looking for her to fall mad because she got the detective job over three of their men.

However, Regenia had worked her ass off to get where she was, and she wasn't about to let any of them see her fail. She had too much at stake; one of those things was her father's health, which was steadily declining. He was shot in the line of duty just months after the loss of Regenia's mother, who died of cancer, and she couldn't bear the fact of losing her father too. Still, there was a problem. His insurance refused to pay the full amount of his medical bills, and Genia was barely making it herself until she got promoted. Being a detective came with better pay, but not enough, then she had this case to worry about, and it felt like it was sucking the life out of her. Regenia had nothing to go on, and talking to Romano was a lost cause.

It was the same story each time she visited him; Romano would always talk about her and question why they sent in a beautiful woman. He was starting to mess with her mental causing her to ask the same question. Did they know Romano would never talk to her? Most men didn't believe a woman could do this job; her co-workers were the prime examples. Maybe he was the same. However, Genia wasn't going to give up. She was Regenia Kate Miller, the daughter of Jake Miller, one of the best detectives Manhattan had ever seen, and she planned to live up to her father's reputation.

"Miller, have you found something on Romano yet?" One of the other detectives laughed, which caused Genia to roll her eyes at the man. "At the pace you are going, it would be better to release him...."

"Yeah, maybe if you sorry assholes would have let him commit a crime before busting him, I would have a case. And what I don't understand is why I'm working this case when you were the one that made the bust?" She said as the detective leaned over her desk into her face with a smirk.

"Damn, I thought you were like your daddy. You know the best of the best. Was it not you that claimed you could shame all of us, males? Now, I want to see you do it, but if the case is too hard for you, Genia. You could always hand it over to me. Although I always thought women should stay in a woman's place. At home, cooking, cleaning, and waiting to get bent over, and that's what your big, beautiful ass needs...."

"Get out of my face, you jackass! I have a job to do, and the last time I checked, you did too. Plus, I know how to do my job, and it doesn't involve quickies in the locker room with the slut receptionist that everyone in the precinct is fucking. I advise you to watch your back, or you'll be the next one she slaps with a sexual harassment charge. What do I know? I'm just a woman, or I could be the one that hits your sorry ass with the charge if you do not remove your hand from my arm, detective." She spoke calmly as the man smiled and slowly stood before turning for her door.