One Room

Regenia was finally home after spending two weeks in the hospital

Regenia was finally home after spending two weeks in the hospital. Giuseppe was happy but angry at the same time. He was upset that something like this happened underneath their nose. Berardo shouldn't have been about to shoot his Uccellino. There weren't supposed to be any weapons in the building, leaving him to wonder who could have helped him. He was happy because his bella lived to see another day. Happy, the mafia accepted her after learning the truth, but now his Nonno was rushing their wedding, screaming in his ear that it needed to happen within a few weeks while his father backed him.

Regenia wasn't well yet, and they wanted to force her to walk down the aisle. Giuse was cruel but couldn't push himself to force Regenia into something if she wasn't up to it. "Baby," Regenia spoke, making Giuseppe look at her quickly. It was the first time she called him something other than his name, Romano, or asshole, and it took Giuse by surprise.

"Yeah—"

"Don't overthink it. Isn't that what you tell me all the time?" Giuseppe smiled while slowly touching her face and studying her eyes as Regenia stared at him, confused. Gently he kissed her lips, pulling her close to him. "I think you bumped her head when you fell." He chuckled in her ear.

"Giuseppe..."

"Yes, that is what I tell you, Uccellino, but I don't want to push you."

"I'll be fine. I can walk, you know, and it was bound to happen sooner than later unless...." She sighed, looking away. "Unless you are the one having second thoughts." Almost immediately, Giuseppe pulled her into a tight hug kissing her neck. He couldn't believe she could think such a thing. He had never felt the way he felt for her with another, and Giuseppe couldn't imagine giving it up. Finally, he had found his weakness; it was Regenia. Giuse always considered it his children, but their enemies knew not to touch them. Regenia— was a different story. There was no doubt they would use her to get to him, and Berardo had already proven that.

"I made you a promise. I told you I never go back on a promise, Regenia...."

"Damn, I love the way you say my name. Have I ever told you that?" Giuseppe chuckled as Regenia kissed him this time. "No, you have not, but your ass is high from all the medications my Zio has you on." He laughed.

"No, Giuseppe, I'm being honest with you. I don't know what it was, but the first time my name rolled off your tongue, you had me. I should've walked away— ask someone else to take the job, but I couldn't. Something forced me to stay, and I don't regret helping you. I would do it all over again if it meant we would end up right here where we are now. I never had anyone to love me besides my parents and my mom. It hurt learning the woman I always called my mom until her dying day wasn't my mom hurt, but they were the only ones that showed me, love. I never had friends; sadly, you were my first real friend. You— you made me see a part of me I wouldn't have seen without you. So, trust me when I say; I'm ready." She spoke.