Untimely Death

Everything Regenia needed had fallen into her lap

Everything Regenia needed had fallen into her lap. Berardo had given her more than enough to throw the book at Giuseppe. So why was she having second thoughts about it? All she had to do was put it on the captain's desk, but her body wouldn't allow her to leave the house. How did she know all of this was true? Berardo could have been trying to frame Giuseppe to get his father's empire.

There was no way Regenia would let herself be the cause of lives being taken as she quickly jumped from her bed to her closet, looking for something to wear for that day. She decided not to go to work but straight to the hospital, where Romano was still being held on a private floor. Although her first stop was to see her father and what she walked into see was the last thing she would have thought of.

All the nurses on the floor were running into his room, as one of them ran past her, screaming code blue. A code she knew so well... her father had stopped breathing, and everything she held dropped straight to the floor as she ran into his room, watching the nurses work on his lifeless body before calling the time.

NO! Y-YOU CAN S-STOP! D-DON'T S-STOP... PLEASE DON'T STOP! MAKE HIM BREATHE AGAIN!" She yelled as Megan, one of the nurses, grabbed and hugged her. Regenia's father was like a dad to her; she had been there with him since day one, so she cried it out with Genia.

"I'm sorry, Hon... I-I t-tried. I tried, but right before his heart attack, he told me to give you this." And slowly, she opened Regenia's shaky hand, placing a folded piece of paper in it before leaving with the rest while one nurse stayed behind to clean up her dad. She had no one. What could a piece of paper tell her? It wouldn't bring him back, but Genia still opened the paper with trembling hands.

'You know what you must do.'

What the hell was that supposed to mean? Regenia never understood her father's code talk, no matter how much that man tried to teach her. She knew she wanted to be a detective, but most of the things she learned were her own because her father didn't think it was the right career choice for his baby girl. Now he thought she should understand his codes. She didn't have the time for this as she walked over to his body and reached for his hand as she sat there and cried. An hour passed, and all she could do was cried, especially when the nurse told her they had to take his body.

"Can you tell me what happened?

"He had a heart attack... I thought you spoke with the doctor. Did he not tell you your father's organs were shutting down?"

"H-he did, but I thought we had more time." She guessed she was wrong, and maybe Regenia should have been with him the night before, besides on a sorry-ass date with a man who didn't want her. The hardest thing of all was Regenia didn't get to tell him goodbye. What was she to do now? Regenia didn't have the answers to questions, but somehow, she ended up crying in Giuseppe's room.

"Don't cry on my account Uccellino...."

"He's gone... my dad is gone. I have no one now. I don't understand. What did I do to deserve this? To lose my parents less than six months apart, all I have is this stupid fucking job I'm starting to hate. I know they have set me up to fail." She spoke, giving the man the files his cousin had given her the night before. Regenia didn't even bother looking at Romano, but surprisingly the man reached out and pulled her into a hug.