Learning More

"Guard, I think Romano needs medical attention!" Giu's cellmate called out as he lay in the fetal position groaning

"Guard, I think Romano needs medical attention!" Giu's cellmate called out as he lay in the fetal position groaning. The last beating he had gotten from the guards was taking a toll on him, but Giuseppe refused to ask for help. He knew this was his cousin doing. The man was trying his best to take him out, and hopefully, he wouldn't win.

Giuseppe hoped he had gotten through to Regenia the last time they talked, but the girl was a tough cookie to break. Giu had to give it to Jake. He raised one hell of a daughter, and normally he didn't have the taste of black women, but Regenia, he would make an exception. He wanted to make her his, but first, Giuseppe had to make it out of there... alive. With the way things were going, he feared for his life unless Detective Miller pulled through for him.

It was a long shot telling the woman her father worked for him. Giuseppe knew this, but she needed to know the truth. How were his medical bills getting paid? Yeah, it was set up to look like the insurance only paid half of what he needed, but it was at Jake's request. The truth was he didn't have insurance due to pay cuts and didn't want his sweet daughter to learn the truth. Although Giuseppe hated it, he respected Jake enough to honor his wishes the last time he went to see the man. He was knocking on death's door, and Giu, like an idiot, made a promise to watch after his daughter. One that he failed to tell him was a detective, and Giu knew he knew.

"Yeah, he looks fine to me. Call me when he is dead...."

"Blake, we just got an order from the warren... we need to take Romano to the medical ward. His little detective friend seemed concerned about his health and convinced that we were beating him on purpose." Another one of the guards spoke as Giu chuckled to himself. Regenia cared enough to get him seen, but did she trust him to believe him?

"That's bullshit! He was the one that started those fights! It's in the reports. Don't they see it's a fucking mistake letting a woman do a man's job? How she's working this case, he will be on the streets again in no time. She's too easily influenced, and Romano is getting under her skin. The boss isn't going to like this, leaving us to be in the hot seat. I say kill him and be done with it."

"I'm still awake, you idiots." He spoke weakly as one of them kicked him in the face. "Know when I get out of here, you porcellini (piglets) will be the first on my list to die. Then my Cugino (cousin). He's the one you are working for, yeah. Let him know I'm coming for him." He groans, feeling himself fade into the darkness. Sometime later or the next day, Giuseppe woke to a beeping machine and a woman talking on the phone over to his right. He immediately realized he was in a hospital and the beautiful voice he heard was coming from Regenia.

Why was she here?

She wasn't family, and he knew they wouldn't let her in to interrogate an unconscious man. He wondered if he had gotten through to her or if she was there to finish the job. Either way, he was happy to be away from Ryker's Island, breathing a different type of air.

"W-water...."

"Leslie, I have to go. Yeah... yeah, I know, and I promise we will go out for those drinks tonight." She smiled as Giuseppe heard a male's voice telling her she better. For some reason, he didn't like it, and whoever this Leslie was, he was about to kick rocks because Regenia was his. However, Genia turned to him with a smile while she held a cup of water with a straw for him to drink.