Swearing-In (Part I)

Berardo was between a rock and a hard place, trying to figure out his next move

Berardo was between a rock and a hard place, trying to figure out his next move. It's been days since he last heard from Luna, and it wasn't like she was giving him any information, but she was still his inside source besides his little brother Anthony, which he was starting not to trust him. Maybe he could work with his little sister, but she still hated him for killing their whiny younger sister when they were teens. There was no need for her, and he couldn't understand why his parents would want another child after their three older ones were almost adults. Berardo could deal with the crying, screaming, and begging she did. The child was a spoiled little brat and needed to go. However, that was the least of his problems. He needed help, someone he could fully trust. Someone on the inside— but who?

With a heavy sigh, Ardo started combing through the many men they had back in Italy. One that he could turn against his uncle. No one seemed to stand out, and it frustrated him. Everyone he had on his side was dead because neither of them knew how to move in silence. They ran their mouths to the others and alerted Giuseppe. Luna could have been a big help if she had done what she was told from the beginning, but her need to want a man that didn't want her stood in the way. Whatever happened to her would be her mistake, and he didn't care.

"Hey, Boss, I think you should turn on the television."

"I prefer not to. Television is a way to divert you. I don't want to listen if the news isn't about something I want to hear. So, whatever you think I need to see... I don't." Berardo spoke as the man mindlessly ignored him and turned on the TV, making him want to kill him.

Police are investigating the death of one of their own after Captain Greyson Jones was found murdered in his Manhattan home this morning shortly before 9 am. His fellow officers said the Captain failed to show up for two days, and after he failed to show up this morning, they became worried. They begin to call their Captain, and after a series of unanswered calls, Sergeant Adams decided to visit his home, where he found Captain's Jones lifeless body. There were no signs of forced entry, and we have no other details at the moment. As of now, it is an ongoing investigation—

Quickly Berardo turned off the television. Captain Jones was Regina's boss before she ran off with his cousin, but the man had many others out for his head. It didn't surprise him that he had finally gotten himself killed. It wasn't Ardo's problem, and he didn't understand why men thought it was important for him to see this. "Greyson had this coming. Why did you feel the need to inform me about this mess?"

"Sir, the news fails to mention that he was killed from a single gunshot wound to the head— three blocks away. A sniper killed Jones; this wasn't someone he put in jail. It was a hit... the strange thing is the person is working with someone. It was a two-man job... one shooter and the other received the bullet, and he wasn't the only one killed last night. Three other captains died all underneath you. They are showing their hand, sir." Berardo rolled his eyes. This wasn't Zio's style. The man didn't believe in killing others to get to someone. Giuseppe was raised the same way. Therefore, he refused to see it was them, and nothing could change his mind.