Leaving

"I need a favor," Giovanni said as Giuseppe entered his father's office

"I need a favor," Giovanni said as Giuseppe entered his father's office. He should have known he had a reason to call so early in the morning. Giovanni only called if he wanted something, but that was his father. He tried his best not to bother his children unless he needed them. However, he was curious to see what the man wanted. Especially since his siblings were there, all looked annoyed by their father's meaningless talking.

"What type of favor?"

"One that you're not going to like. Padre wants us to go back to the States...."

"Fuck No! Have you forgotten that my Uccellino and I are wanted by the fucking FBI?!" Of he didn't. Giovanni just didn't care, or he had something up his sleeve; either way, Giuseppe didn't care. He wasn't about to risk his sweet Regenia's life over some bullshit his father wanted. That was final. There was no way he was making her go back and risk jail time or even worse. If he had business in the States, he could do it himself.

"Voi bambini preoccupatevi delle cose sbagliate. (You children worry about the wrong things.). That has been taken care of...."

"Oh, you can take care of that but couldn't get your son out of jail."

"Giuseppe, that was different." He spoke, making the man tilt his head. Different? Different how? He wondered. Giuseppe didn't see the difference because he was in more danger in prison than being wanted by the fucking FBI. Did the man not understand he had no protection or help inside the prison beside River, and who didn't really do shit. He was a damn loner that kept to himself as he was doing now.

"Explain to me how that was different. If it weren't for my Amore, I would be dead. I had no fucking help in there, Padre!"

"Yes, I know that now Giuse. It was my mistake to think I could trust those who were supposed to look after my Figlio. My men... my men betrayed me for the lies my nephew was spreading. Berardo will be bought down but not now. Plus, you won't be going to New York."

It wasn't like this would change Giu's view of the situation. He still had to return to the one place he claimed he would never return to. Giuseppe also promised Regenia she would be safe with him. How was he supposed to uphold that promise by taking her back to the one country they had fled from? This wasn't reassuring. Therefore, Giuseppe didn't care what part of the country he was to go to. It wasn't safe for his little bird in his eyes. Berardo was out for his head and would use Regenia to do it.

That much he knew, and by now, he knew of their engagement, which meant he was coming up with a new plan. One to stop him from becoming Don or marrying. That plan would involve Regenia, the woman he had grown to love.

"Don't care, Padre. I can't put II mio Uccellino in danger. Taking her back to the state would do just that. I'm earning Regenia's trust, and I can't break it because you want something done...."

"Understandable figlio, but you realize you cannot refuse things because of the one you love. We live a dangerous life, and she agreed to live it with you, and sometimes that means breaking a promise. One you should have never made. You know you couldn't promise her never to return to the States. We have business there." Giovanni spoke, making Giuseppe look at his brothers and sister. All had the same stare as he did. Giu understood what his father was saying, and he was correct, but when it came to Regenia's trust, breaking it would lead them back to square one. Something he couldn't risk.