Three Alliances

Regenia paced the floor of her new bedroom for now

Regenia paced the floor of her new bedroom for now. She couldn't believe Giuseppe had left her with his parents as if she was a small child. It gave her the feeling; he didn't trust her. Although she knew it was all in her head. Giu wanted her to be safe, as if that couldn't happen with the thousands of men surrounding his house daily. There was no way Berardo, or anyone, could get past his security, plus he claimed no one but his parents and siblings knew of their location. None of that mattered to Regenia because she was upset for a different reason.

Regenia was upset that she was left behind. For fuck sake, she was a damn detective before coming to Italy. She knew how to protect herself from danger. Therefore, he didn't need to leave her behind. What was Giuseppe afraid of? Regenia was in too damn deep to run now. She was falling for the man who convinced her to marry him. Seeing him every day had taken a toll on her. Genia loved his smile when he had one, the control he held, and his sexy ass voice. The first day she met Giuseppe Regenia, she knew she was a goner but tried to keep her cool. Still, she was drawn in and didn't want to run. Every day she would ask herself.

Was she wrong?

Was it wrong of her to help him escape? She knew the answer was no and was sure it was what her father meant by his note. He wanted her to help Giuseppe... at least, that is what she hoped he was saying. Her father saw some good in him. If not, he wouldn't have helped him. He was covering for Giu, and it got him killed. It enraged her, and she wanted Berardo to suffer the same faith her father did. Her father didn't deserve to die, he did nothing wrong, but Berardo was out for something that didn't belong to him. He was nothing but a jealous man who didn't deserve life. Instead, he wanted to take Giuseppe's, which Regenia refused to let happen. Her grandmother always told her there was a special place for people like him. That was hell.... "Good, you awake."

"That I am... is there something wrong?"

"No, Tesoro, I only came to check on you, but I can tell something is on your mind. Care to share with your dear mother-in-law?" Regenia couldn't deny it. Caterina was a sweet woman and reminded her so much of her mother, but there was something about her. Something Genia had yet to uncover; it was why she was careful around the woman. In fear she would get on her bad side and end up hurt or worse. Then it could have been her paranoia creeping up. Either way, Regenia was going to play it safe.

"Yeah, there is a lot on my mind. Giuseppe is one of those things. I don't understand why he left me behind or here."

"Mafia men, that's why. They have a need to protect the ones they love. Please don't take it the wrong way because he trusts you. That much I know... I was where you were many years ago, and I remember having the feelings you're probably having now." She sighed, grabbing her hand as she pulled her over to a chair. "My mind wondered if Gio trusted me or not...."

"I thought you were born into a mafia."

"One would think that, but no Regenia. I come from an extremely poor family. Before meeting my Giovanni, I worked as a courtesan and was a drug addict. I was just starting out, and Gio found me high off my ass trying to hype myself up to sleep with a man I had never met before. He took me in, helped me get clean, and our relationship built from there. We all have secrets, and some come back and bite us in our asses. Mine did... yours will too, but you have to be ready. You're a sweet girl Regenia, but you must understand you are a cop at heart, which means being in a room full of murders wouldn't be a good call. Don't worry yourself too much about Giuseppe; he can take care of himself."