Famiglia

It was late, but Giovanni stood in his bedroom window, looking out at the night sky as his wife slept behind him

It was late, but Giovanni stood in his bedroom window, looking out at the night sky as his wife slept behind him. His mind was running off the many things that could happen to his children and Caterina, but not so much of himself. They knew he would lay his life down for them, yet he would never turn his mafioso over to his nephew. Berardo knew nothing about how to make the mafia work. If so, he would have built his own besides trying to harm his family.

It was their new rule. Your family is always first, and if you dare to turn against it. It meant death... but Gio couldn't bring himself to kill his blood. Although he knew one person that could. Giuseppe's hate for his cousin looked past the fact and if the boy could kill all his men in a blink of an eye. Force Giovanni to realize he was ready to take the throne. Only one thing stood in his way; there was no way in hell his father would allow it if Giu had no bride.

One of their family codes. The Romano men had to have a bride to stand beside before becoming Don, and the old asshole still kicking, wasn't letting up on the rule. He wanted Luna to be by his son's side. One of the reasons the woman did this was she did. Luna was following his father's orders, which ended poorly. The man should have known forcing children on a man like Giuseppe would do nothing but raise his anger towards the woman, and to make matters worse, she was still trying to follow the man's orders.

Luna was looking to get herself killed. Regenia wasn't one to be fucked with, and it shows with her killings and her attitude toward his son. She didn't take Giu's shit, and the man loved to test her to see how far he could push her. Still, Giuseppe's grandfather stood in the way and if he would approve Regenia to marry his grandson. None of them had told the old man about the woman, and Gio knew his son would marry the girl with or without the man's permission. So, it was up to him to get his father to agree.

"Gio, come to bed and stop worrying yourself about Berardo. He won't hurt him or Regenia. I won't allow it. If it must be done, I will kill him."

"I know you will il mio tesoro... I know you will, but I wasn't thinking about that. My father, and how do we get him... the Godfather, to agree to this marriage?"

"Simple, Giovanni. Put your foot down and tell the old asshole you are Don, the leader of the mafioso. Our son should be able to choose who the hell he wants to marry, not what his Nonno wants, and if it's Regenia. It's Regenia, and he shouldn't care as long as he is getting married. I wasn't bullshitting Giovanni; I will kill Luna if she tries to pull another child over on our son. I hate the bitch, and the day your Padre let her walk into his life. I don't give a fuck whose daughter she is. The bitch is a whore." She signed as he did the same before walking toward the door.

"It's late, I know, but I need to speak with my Padre. As you said, Tesoro, I need to put my foot down regarding my children." Caterina nodded as Giovanni left the room, going straight to his father's living quarters on the west wing of his home. The old man should have been sleeping, but just like him, he sat by the window with a glass of whisky, humming to himself.