5 | The First Ball

ELIJAH RUSSO:

ELIJAH RUSSO:

I can't believe I even came. I yank the mask off of my face and sigh. I don't understand why Marcello couldn't come but I had to. I have no reason to be here.

Okay, maybe I do. Well, a lot of reasons.

"Elijah, can I just have one drink? Please?"

"No, Dante. You know the rules."

Dante groans, stomping his feet like a little child, "Just one. Pretty please. I've never been sober for this long."

"You have been sober for years before you started drinking, I'm sure you can handle a month," Dom says.

I look at Lorenzo and see him talking to the American mafia boss, Anthony. It's most likely him apologizing on the behalf of the twins for fucking his daughter.

The twins start bickering and I grab my glass of whiskey and drink all of it in one go. "Both of you shut up," I snap, pouring more whiskey.

They both shut up for once.

I notice Ares discreetly stealing food from the Russian's table. I shake my head, I can't believe he's actually gone through with that plan.

He runs back and drops all the food, that he stole, on the table. "Okay, if I did my calculations right I should be able to eat all of this within fifteen minutes," he says to himself.

"Why in fifteen minutes?" Dante asks him.

"Because in fifteen minutes the servers will pass out more food and I can't just leave all the food here, they will notice it when they come to give us food," Ares answers, starting to eat the food.

"Fatty," Dom mumbles.

Ares stops eating and looks at Dom. He doesn't bother to eat his food anymore, he just quietly sits down and stares at the ground.

I grab some of the food, "If we both eat the food, we will have more time before the servers come."

Ares looks at me in shock, "You would actually do that?"

I shrug, "Yeah I guess."

"Okay let's start now—"

All of the lights turn off and I slowly realize that it's time. A spotlight shines on the stage.

I eat the food as I watch Sebastian, the boss of the Spanish mafia, make his way to the stage.

Sebastian gets up on the stage. He looks around the crowd, looking for someone. His eyes land on me and I grin at him. He nods at me and then starts his speech.

There are five mafias and because of that there are going to be five balls. This is the first. Each mafia will host a ball and this one is being hosted by Sebastion.

He's set up a masquerade ball, most likely nothing big will be happening since he's a chill guy.

The second one will be hosted by Anthony the American mafia boss. He's a bit dramatic so lord knows what his one will be like.

The third will be hosted by us. Lorenzo already has everything planned. We have a reputation for hosting the biggest and best balls so ours is definitely going to be the best.

It's not a competition to host the best ball, I know, but I'm just saying. We go all out, we always do.

The fourth will be the French mafia. I glance at the leader. Camille. She's a beautiful woman. Strong and independent. She's only twenty-six which makes me glance at Lorenzo.

They would look together.

Anyways, she may be like your standard woman, but she isn't. She's a cruel woman. Always gets what she wants. She's very controlling and stubborn.

And finally, the fifth one will be hosted by Yavok Orlav. I don't even know how that old man is alive but if old age doesn't kill him, I will.

Our mafias are allies and because of that me and Sebastian are good friends.

I and Ares finish all of the food within ten minutes. "Why didn't you save me some?" Dante angrily whispers at Ares.

I glare at him, "You never asked us to."

He huffs and turns away from us.

"Thanks, Eli," Ares whispers.

I nod at him and look back at the stage.

Sebastian finishes his speech and the lights turn back on. Classical music starts to play and people start dancing with their partners on the dance floor.

This is going to be a long night.

Sighing, I lean back in my chair.

Then an oddly familiar woman in a red silk dress and red mask walks past us.

Although, I'm not the only one looking at her. Everyone else is looking at her. She holds so much confidence and dignity as she walks. Who wouldn't look at her?

But she seems too familiar. But I don't know where I would've seen her from.
For a split second, she turns her head and her familiar blue eyes meet mine.

No. That can't be her. It can't be. She's supposed to be with Yavok. I look around the room and notice Yavok isn't even here yet. If he were to bring her, she wouldn't be alone.

Then she walks into the big crowd, disappearing from my sight.

Abruptly, I stand up, searching the room with my eyes trying to find her again.

"Elijah? What's wrong?"

"I think I just saw Athena."