35 | Left Behind

ARES RUSSO:

ARES RUSSO:

I flop down on my bed and sigh but then my door barges open, slamming against the wall.

Dante and Dom walk in, crossing their arms. "So what do you think about Athena getting married to Hades?" Dante asks. "Personally, I don't like it one bit," Dom says, huffing like a child.

"I uh do I really need to answer that?" I ask, nervously smiling.

They both look me dead in the eye, serious.

My whistling makes the hard and pressuring atmosphere die down a little which makes me feel better.

"Can you answer the goddamn question?" Dante snaps as he pulls out a bottle of beer from nowhere and takes a sip of it.

I take a look at his face and notice it's paler than usual. Huh. That's weird. Has he not been in the sun lately? Maybe it's the lighting in my room. I shrug it off and decide to answer the question.

"What do I think about Athena getting married to Hades? Well, I don't like it, we only just got her back and she already seems like she's moving on and we've barely even spent any time with her."

Dom frowns and looks at the ground, "She went through a lot of shit, and I don't blame her for being like this but sometimes I miss the old her."

"The old her?" Dante asks, confused.

Dom sighs. "You know, the Athena that had a heart."

Dante shakes his head. "What do you expect from her? To come back like nothing happened? If she was the old Athena, that Athena would've killed herself by now. No one would survive what Yavok did to her except for her."

Dom slowly nods, "Yeah you're right."

I look at them, annoyed. Everyone knows that. That wasn't what I wanted to hear. I know what she's like now and I don't care, she's still my sister. What I want is to spend time with her and what if this bloodthirsty side of her takes over?

"I just don't want her to forget about me," I whisper.

Dante looks at me with a sad look, he sits down beside me and wraps an arm around my shoulder. "She won't forget you. You're impossible to forget, you silly goose," he winks, grinning.

I roll my eyes but I softly smile.

"Yeah, if she tries to forget about us, I'll knock some sense into her," Dom mumbles, sitting down on the bed.

After that we all just sit in silence.

I fiddle with my fingers while my mind races to all the possible outcomes that will come when Athena gets married.

"I wish we could just spend more time with her," Dom says, breaking the silence.

Dante chuckles, "She's not dying, she's just getting married."

I smile a bit at how dramatic we are but we're not wrong, sometimes I feel like she could just disappear again and we would never get her back. Time is moving too fast. Everything feels rushed.

I don't know what I'm thinking.

My door opens and Lorenzo walks in, his eyebrows furrowing when he sees Dante and Dom in my room. "Is there something going on? You all look so depressed."

I shake my head, "Nah we just talking about—"

"Football. Our favorite team lost," Dom lies.

I hide my confusion. What is he doing?

Dante nods, "Yeah, anyway did you want something?"

Why is Dante playing along with it? They're so odd.

Lorenzo shrugs, "Not really, just wanted to check up on Ares," he pauses and looks at me, "You feeling okay?"

I nod, "Yeah I'm good."

He shuts the door behind him and crosses his arms, "You lot are the worst liars I know. Tell me what's going on."

We all go quiet. I think they don't want him to know that we really dread the day Athena gets married.

"Well? Spit it out. I don't have all day."

I look at Dom and Dante and they give me a nod of approval. Sighing, I look back at Lorenzo and speak up.

"We were talking about Athena," I mumble.

"What about her? Did something happen?" He asks, blood draining from his skin.

I eye Lorenzo, slightly concerned. His body goes rigid as he waits for an answer. Shit. I've never seen him so worried and scared before.

Dante nervously looks at him, "You don't know?"

Lorenzo looks at Dante, panic in his eyes, "What are you talking about? Is she okay?"

"She's in the hospital..." Dante lies, staring down at the ground, hiding his grin.

You've got to be kidding me. Even after all these years he still thinks these types of jokes are funny.

Dom shakes his head, Dante, and so do I. He's messing with Lorenzo like a dickhead.

"What? What do you mean she's in the hospital? What the fuck happened?"

Dante bursts out laughing, "I'm joking, nothing happened."

Lorenzo stares at Dante for a moment then sighs in relief before glaring at him, "Don't scare me like that. Now what's actually going on here?"

"We just don't want Athena to move on so quickly," I tell him, fiddling with my thumbs.

"She's just changed so much," Dom mumbles.

"And you Dante?"

Dante shrugs. "I don't know man. I don't think it's fair on her to be getting married so early on in her life, you know? She should be going to therapy or something," he tells Lorenzo.

Lorenzo nods in understanding. "I get what you guys mean, she's going to be okay, it's just going to take some time."

"Do you think we will all be together like the old times?" I quietly ask.

"We are already together. It's just different this time," He says, softly smiling.

I sigh and nod. He's right. We are together again, it's just different.