27 | Pushing Him

ATHENA RUSSO:

ATHENA RUSSO:

I stare at Hades, a smile slowly forming on my face. The room is dead silent, everyone waiting for what is next to come.

Me?

Betrothed?

To Hades?

...

I burst out laughing. My laugh fills the room as tears form in my eyes, laughing even harder.

"That's funny," I say under my breath as I watch Lorenzo come up the stairs with a glimmer of nervousness in his eyes.

"Athena—"

"It's funny, isn't it? I wonder how he came up with that," I say, shaking my head in disbelief.

"It isn't a joke."

I pause and look up at him, "What do you mean it isn't a joke?"

He looks away and mumbles, "Mom and Dad made an agreement with Hades's parents that when you were born that you were to marry Hades when you turn twenty."

I glance at my brothers and they look clueless and shocked. I look back at Lorenzo, I sweetly smile at him, "It's fine, don't worry about it."

"Wait what? You're okay with it?"

My smile instantly drops. "No I'm not okay with it," I say, trying my best to keep my cool.

"Oh okay— what?!"

"You've kept this from me? For how long?"

"Fourteen years," he answers, ashamed.

"So you try to tell me what to do and you keep this from me, what a great brother you are, Lorenzo."

Standing up, I walk down the stairs. "Kick everyone out," I tell Ivan when he comes up to me. He nods and scurries away.

"Athena! Please! Let me just explain!"

"Ivan?" I call out.

Ivan halts and turns around, "Yes, Miss Russo?"

"When I say everyone I mean even my brothers," I point out.

Then I exit the ballroom with Lorenzo following me, begging me to stop.

Rolling my eyes, I pull a pack of cigarettes and a lighter out of my bra and light a cigarette. I put it to my lips, inhaling, throwing the lighter away.

"Athena?! Hold on are you fucking smoking?!"

I exhale and turn around, holding my hand up, and making him stop. Lorenzo looks at me in disbelief. "Please tell me you're not addicted to smoking," he pleads, tiredness in his eyes.

"What I do shouldn't concern you."

"But it does! You are still my little sister, I care about everything you do."